Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher Paykel GWL11 - replacing old style MC with new MC

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jperrigo

jperrigo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hello,

I am replacing the pump and motor controller on my 2004 Fisher Paykel GWL11. The new MC that I received is different than the original and it came with instructions for replacing the old with the new. However, the new instructions don't mention the two orange wires that were previously plugged in to the "diverter" spot on the old MC and they are not visible in the picture that came with the instructions. There is a pigtail coming off of the new MC with two orange wires that fits the diverter plug coming from the washer and I'm assuming this is where it needs to be plugged in, but since these motor controller's are so expensive and apparently super easy to fry I'd like if somebody can confirm that this is correct before I power it on. Here's a picture showing these wires plugged in.

Also, with the new MC I had to remove the clamp for the power cord as the MC hits the clamp and won't fit into place. I'm planning to zip-tie the power cord so if it gets pulled on it won't yank on the connections, but I thought it was odd that the instructions didn't mention anything about this. Did anybody else run into this?

Thank you!

Jeff

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

Here's a picture showing these wires plugged in.

Nice pic! what you have is correct.

Also, with the new MC I had to remove the clamp for the power cord as the MC hits the clamp and won't fit into place. I'm planning to zip-tie the power cord so if it gets pulled on it won't yank on the connections, but I thought it was odd that the instructions didn't mention anything about this. Did anybody else run into this?

Could upload some pics of this, as well? Include one of the new module interfering with the old cord clamp.

Also, if you can make a scan of the instruction sheet, that would help others down the road. If a fax is easier, my fax is 866-315-4504.

Domo!

#3 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

yes that is correct that is the divertor cable correctly fitted

the power cable pulled up is normal , rescrew the power cable clamp back down again

double check the instructions in the box of the new module as some need the plastic pressure tube to be trimmed 10mm , but iirc its not that one but double check to be sure

carefully inspect the divertor valve , it is common they get shorted and will blow up the new module , its worthile changing them or setting the machine to traditional wash only to save changing it

#4 jperrigo

jperrigo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

yes that is correct that is the divertor cable correctly fitted

the power cable pulled up is normal , rescrew the power cable clamp back down again

double check the instructions in the box of the new module as some need the plastic pressure tube to be trimmed 10mm , but iirc its not that one but double check to be sure

carefully inspect the divertor valve , it is common they get shorted and will blow up the new module , its worthile changing them or setting the machine to traditional wash only to save changing it

My problem with the power clamp is that it won't even come close to fitting after the new MC is in place. There is probably less than 1cm between the MC and the back of the washer, and the clamp is probably 2cm or more because of the two plastic nubs that the screws screw into. I have some pics that I'll have to upload. I zip tied it and it holds fine but I thought it was odd that it didn't fit.

Regarding the diverter, I believe the instructions said it should be between .7k Ohms and 2.5k Ohms, and that it should be lower as temperature increases. I measured mine in a 68 degree room and it was at 2.6k Ohms. It's only off by .1k of the top end of the range, but since it said it should be lower in higher temperatures I wasn't sure if this is indicative of a problem.

Also, I was wrong about the instructions not mentioning plugging in the diverter. It's not shown in the picture on the instructions but there is a step that says to plug in the diverter if the washer is equipped with one. I apparently just overlooked this.

Could upload some pics of this, as well? Include one of the new module interfering with the old cord clamp.

Also, if you can make a scan of the instruction sheet, that would help others down the road. If a fax is easier, my fax is 866-315-4504.

Domo!

I have pics showing where the power clamp should go that I can upload, and I can scan the instructions to pdf. Is there a way to host them on this site that I didn't see? I hosted the other pic on flickr but I don't know how long I'll have this account there and it would be better for other people if the pics aren't dependent on my personal account staying open. Let me know if there is a better way.

Thanks,

Jeff

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:32 PM

Use one of the many free image hosting services like Flickr, Picassa, etc. For PDFs, fax to me at 866-315-4504.

#6 jperrigo

jperrigo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

I ran across the instructions that came with the new motor controller again so I faxed them over last night. Let me know if they weren't legible.

Thanks,

Jeff

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

I was wondering what that fax was for. :kopkrab:

Here's the link to it on my Google Docs site==> https://docs.google....eeG7T0dFi&hl=en

I have pics showing where the power clamp should go that I can upload, and I can scan the instructions to pdf. Is there a way to host them on this site that I didn't see? I hosted the other pic on flickr but I don't know how long I'll have this account there and it would be better for other people if the pics aren't dependent on my personal account staying open. Let me know if there is a better way.

Thanks,

Jeff

How 'bout them pics?

#8 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:41 AM

My problem with the power clamp is that it won't even come close to fitting after the new MC is in place. There is probably less than 1cm between the MC and the back of the washer, and the clamp is probably 2cm or more because of the two plastic nubs that the screws screw into. I have some pics that I'll have to upload. I zip tied it and it holds fine but I thought it was odd that it didn't fit.

Regarding the diverter, I believe the instructions said it should be between .7k Ohms and 2.5k Ohms, and that it should be lower as temperature increases. I measured mine in a 68 degree room and it was at 2.6k Ohms. It's only off by .1k of the top end of the range, but since it said it should be lower in higher temperatures I wasn't sure if this is indicative of a problem.

Also, I was wrong about the instructions not mentioning plugging in the diverter. It's not shown in the picture on the instructions but there is a step that says to plug in the diverter if the washer is equipped with one. I apparently just overlooked this.

Thanks,

Jeff

i dont know where you are going wrong

you do not remove the cable clamp , just loosen it and pull the power cable through then screw it back up

the new module does fit , i know this as i do several per week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics