Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAV8600AWW noisy spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg P

Greg P

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Pacifico

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Sorry if this has been covered before. I searched and couldn't seem to find an issue quite like mine.

I've got a Maytag Atlantis MAV8600AWW washing machine that's probably close to 9 or 10 years old now. Aside from the noisy timer (it sometimes makes a buzzing noise) we've had no problems with it. Recently, it has started making a high-pitched noise during the spin cycle. It appears to still be functioning properly but the noise is annoying and needs to be addressed before it gets any worse. I'm not sure the noise qualifies as a squeal - some might call it a high-pitched whir.

At first, I thought it might be a drive belt that's starting to go bad but I believe this machine is direct-drive. There are no strange smells or other symptoms - just the high-pitched whirring noise that only seems to be present during the spin cycle. Could it be a bearing going bad?

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on what I should be checking or looking for.

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:01 AM

Noise could be coming from pump

http://www.repaircli...mber=MAV8600AWW

01084870.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:34 PM

If you raise the top (not the lid, we need the lid switch made to spin) and start the unit in spin, you can hold the inner basket with one finger and prevent it from turning. If the noise is still there with it in spin and you holding the tub, it is not the bearings. By doing this, the only thing moving is the belt, motor, pump and input shaft of the transmission. If the noise does go away, you either have a bad bearing or something rubbing between the tubs. If the noise is still there, you can then pop off the belt and run the motor in spin. If the noise is still there, that eliminates the pump and the belt from the equation because the only thing moving is the motor. You probably have a bad pump, but by process of elimination you will know for sure.

Edited by Trying to help, 21 December 2010 - 07:36 PM.

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 Greg P

Greg P

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Pacifico

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thanks so much for your input. Excellent suggestions! I plan on spending a little one-on-one time with my Maytag over the weekend. I'm hoping I can repair whatever the problem is without having to call for service.

I don't think it's the pump though as the frequency of the noise seems to be directly related to the speed of the spinning tub. It also varies slightly (like a vibrato) if the tub is slightly off-balance.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics