Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Dishwasher PDW9700L Broken Again

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

Just in time for Christmas 2010, my GE Profile Dishwasher (PDW9700L) has broken again. I suspect it is another broken wine glass that has constipated my drain pump, since the unit will not drain. Prior to complete removal and disassembly of this not-so-well-designed model from its kitchen cabinet, does anyone know how to remove the stainless steel coarse filter at the bottom of the unit? I have a 2006 service manual for this d/w, but it is totally silent on how to remove the coarse filter from inside the unit.

I am hoping that I'll find some more glass fragments below this coarse filter that are causing me problems and get this thing operational again without a more complete disassembly. This stainless steel filter plate is sort of loose on one or two sides, but I hesitate to pry it up from the bottom of the dishwasher and break something. Is there some magic filter release method that GE forgot to describe in the service manual?

If I don't hear any disassembly suggestions in the next couple of days, I'll attack this thing again and report my findings back to the forum. Meanwhile, Merry Christmas!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

1. Anyone out there that has a recommendation on how to remove the coarse (stainless steel) filter from this dishwasher?
2. Has anyone figured out to improve the filtering performance of this dishwasher so that occasional broken pieces of glassware (or perhaps a large food fragment) will not jam the motor's impeller and impede the water drain function?

#3 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Did you try taking the drain hose off the pump and making sure it is clear? Does the motor sound like it's trying to drain?

Edited by SANTA, 30 December 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#4 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Santa,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't yet pulled the dishwasher out of its cabinet (sort of a major ordeal getting it out and back into the cabinet due to a lack of clearances). Checking the drain line also requires pulling the dishwasher out from its cabinet, as it drains into a waste pipe that is behind the dishwasher rather than into a garbage disposal inlet to the side of the D/W. Being lazy, I was hoping to be able to access the problem from inside the dishwasher, but I can't figure out how to pull the coarse filter out to check for debris underneath it.

Since I have to go out of town for a bit, this D/W will remain inop for the next two weeks or so. I'll report my findings back to the forum once I operate on the beast.

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

You should be able to get to the drain hose by removing the kickplate at the bottom of the machine. Remove the hose from the pump and blow through it.

#6 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

Santa,

Part of my clearance problem and difficulty in removing the dishwasher from the cabinet is that there is a 3/4 inch high board that is screwed and glued to the floor at the bottom front of the kickplate. But I will give your suggestion a try and report back; maybe a little blow with some compressed air through the drain hose will dislodge some glass fragments from the pump housing...

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll see if I can get the drain hose removed/blown out/re-attached with that damn board in place.

Steve

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

If you can't get the dishwasher out, I have found that a 1/4" icemaker water tubing makes a very good chase tub to run down the drain line to dislodge anything that might be stuck in it.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Willie,

Thanks for that tip. I'll give that a try if I can gain access to the drain line without removing the dishwasher from the cabinet.

Steve

#9 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

The dishwasher eventually had to be removed from the cabinet and partially disassembled from the bottom. Found a little debris in the pump and drain hose, but nothing major. Re-installed it and it worked for another 3 months. Now it is not draining completely once again. I suspect there is some debris between the stainless steel coarse filter and the inlet to the pump, so I am back to my original problem (restated below). Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the stainless steel coarse filter at the bottom of the unit? This filter is accessed from inside the dishwasher, but I can't figure out how to completely remove it.

Just in time for Christmas 2010, my GE Profile Dishwasher (PDW9700L) has broken again. I suspect it is another broken wine glass that has constipated my drain pump, since the unit will not drain. Prior to complete removal and disassembly of this not-so-well-designed model from its kitchen cabinet, does anyone know how to remove the stainless steel coarse filter at the bottom of the unit? I have a 2006 service manual for this d/w, but it is totally silent on how to remove the coarse filter from inside the unit.

I am hoping that I'll find some more glass fragments below this coarse filter that are causing me problems and get this thing operational again without a more complete disassembly. This stainless steel filter plate is sort of loose on one or two sides, but I hesitate to pry it up from the bottom of the dishwasher and break something. Is there some magic filter release method that GE forgot to describe in the service manual?

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,051 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

GE Triton XL GSD6600G0 Dishwasher Lower Spray Arm Removal

GE Dishwasher Spray Arm Assembly

That big perforated steel plate? That's a part of the dishwasher basin and can't be removed (without destroying the dishwasher).

#11 mangusta1969

mangusta1969

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

Yes, it is the big perforated stainless steel plate at the bottom of the dishwasher. It is labeled "coarse filter" in both of the reference pages that you just posted. Thanks for your help. Guess I'll dig into this thing again and will report back on what the problem is/was.

I think I would just toss this dishwasher at this point but I have two of these beasts in a big kitchen. When they work, they work great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics