Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Refrigerator Preventative Maintenance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rackshaw

Rackshaw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:59 AM

Hello,

We have a weekend place that has a ten year old roper Refrigerator/Freezer (RT 18 DKXAW00). We leave the thing running all year round, with its anti-condensation switch turned on. Every summer when the humidity increases, though, the thing will freeze up, such that no cold air gets blown into the refrigerator compartment. What I do is unplug the unit, put everything in the freezer into coolers, tear apart the freezer compartment, run a hairdryer in the coils, melting away all the ice, clean up all the water on the floor, put everything back together again, plug the unit back in the wall and I'm good for another year (unless the humidity is super high and my wife and daughter leave the refrigerator door open while they search in vain for something they like to eat or drink).

My question: Is there anyway (outside of buying a new refrigerator) to avoid this yearly ritual? AdvTHANKSance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,799 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:35 AM

[user=55]Rackshaw[/user] wrote:

My question: Is there anyway (outside of buying a new refrigerator) to avoid this yearly ritual?

Yes, fix the defrosting system.

#3 Rackshaw

Rackshaw

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:00 AM

Okay, but what confuses me is that this problem only occurs once a year for the most part. Once manually defrosted, it works for another year.

The unit does cycle periodically. If the heater wasn't working wouldn't freeze up occur more frequently? If the heater is working, doesn't that indicate that the defrost timer is working (i.e. it the thing that turns the heater on). That leaves the themostat, doesn't it?

Does the fact that the refrigerator spends most of its time powered on but closed (only in use on weekends and during the summer) have anything to do with freeze up? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics