Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

What do you carry?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Like the Maytag tool roll, how do I get me 1 of those?

Pretty sure I bought mine from Marcone, has to be almost 15 years ago by now. Wasn't cheap, either-- over $100 as I recall. This is awesome, thought. I can do lotsa calls using only it without ever pulling another tool from my bag. Excellent quality and selection of tools. Liked it so much I bought anuddin just to keep handy around the house. It's Da Bomb! Posted Image

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Sparky1

Sparky1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Somerset Cider

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for letting me know, Just looked at the Marcone site. Good site wish we had 1 over here, unfortunately they no longer list the tool roll. Some nice tools though.
Let us Fix it Properly.

#23 ffriedmann

ffriedmann

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:22 AM

When I started at my current location (supporting three sites), I fitted out a VCR bag with a fair collection, it grew to cause shoulder issues and as time went by it gradually was pared down to become my belt kit now. Flashlight, needle nose, small flush cutters for wire ties, #1 philips and flat small screw drivers, smaller slide part of metric and SAE Wiha allen sets. Thats it. Close at hand additionals are an Amprobe meter that does all including inductance, Wiha kit and handle w/ metric 4.0-10mm nut driver, #0-2 philips, similar flat and 6-30 torx. Rest is in an an additional bag in shop in the basement. Nothing inaccessible in a pinch, and no more shoulder MRIs from carrying way to much crap around at once.

One of my handiest backup tools is a little red box containing a wide range of flat, philips, allen and torx bits with screwdriver handle, plastic wheels for using the bits alone, and a small flat ratchet w/ 1.5d min throw. Looks harbor freightish, but it has been an ass-saver in very tight spots where no regular tool can get into....

#24 completeapplianceservice

completeapplianceservice

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:17 AM

My bag....Posted Image Note: those are not my tools, although the chalk line would come in handy when dealing with angry customers.

My most used tool is my craftsman lithium ion pocket drill with holster that holds 6 bits, 3/8, 5/16, 1/4, flat, phillips, and 1/4 drive adapter. I highly recommend it to those still using the hand drivers. you would not believe the time, energy, and wrist strain you save. You'll be thankful down the road when you don't have carpel tunnel syndrome. I really have never stripped anything out either.

#25 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

Today I had a service call on a GE T/L Washer in our local Middle School. I had to walk from the parking lot to the front door, walk to the Main Office to check in, down this corridor, around this corner, through the Cafeteria and Finally! come to the washer. My bag must weigh 50-60 pounds. By the time I got to this washer I thought my shoulder was going to fall off! I use the largest Husky bag that HD has. After all that I only used a putty knife to take off the front panel and a 1/4 inch nut driver!!!

As mentioned before, I can't take anything out of my main bag, but there are a lot of things in there that are not used daily or even weekly, but need to be in there when I need them! I think I have to set up a second bag that I can take into the customers to diagnose, and then use my main bag for repairs. Problem is my second bag will probably end up weighing as much as my first bag. Sigh...

#26 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I have a 9 year old Platt double sided bagPosted Image ......one side and the other Posted ImagePosted Image....Posted Image..........Some stuff is not used every day or week, but it helps to reach in the bag o' tools and get a roll of white electrical tape or the extended reach pliers.......I also carry a plastic container with miscellaneous fasteners that are used on appliances, just in case you drop a fastener and it 'just disappeared'...........The bag weighs 40 pounds but it has a shoulder strap for long hauls or carrying a large part....As you can see, a lot of wear and duct tape......New soft side bags start at around $100 clams and that is with out the 'pallets'....( tool holders )

#27 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Over the years I've carried different sizes of toolboxes and I am always thinking if there is something better for me. A few years back I started carrying a "tool organizer". I use the zip up tool bags for my wrenches and other items I want to keep grouped together. I have a little tackle box for screws, wire connectors and such. I've seen guys get away with using a toolbox the size of a pencil box, but for me this has worked the best. I also keep my specialty and larger less used tools in the truck. I've had many compliments about my tool box and how organized it is. Customer's that notice the tech is well organized feel better about what they paid for.

Attached Files

#28 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I have an Xcelite service master roll kit and with a good meter you can repair many things.I ordered a t15 and t20 bit that fit the handle.Does anyone else use these? Combine theses with a crimper and some channel locks you could have a pretty small package.Of course you would want some tape and some wire connectors .

#29 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I only use this on some calls in some neighborhoods.

It is a lifesaver.

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

#30 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Now; about that trip charge ....................

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#31 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

The best tool I've seen thus far on this thread :)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#32 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

I only use this on some calls in some neighborhoods.

It is a lifesaver.

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_Y

That's what we call the "Obooma Special."  

#33 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

When I was younger I carried a big bag, mainly digital. Now I carry a smaller, leather bag, that has become more analog. :woot:

#34 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

That Maytag tool kit is the bomb!! I have been using an xcelite #99 kit for a while.With a good meter and that set you can fix a bunch of things.

#35 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

For appliance repair service calls, I carry this...

For concealed carry, I carry this...

2013-01-22_16-12-09.png

#36 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Nice.

Mine's a Colt Defender 90 (45 ACP) with 3 inch barrel...

http://media.beta.ph...759743751921694

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#37 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Samurai, you carry about 70% of the 'stuff' I carry...............I thought I was the only one that carried a 'finger driver' for those super tight areas................That Snap-On driver is up to $ 70 clam$ now........Same type voltage detector....I hate the ones with the sound, Ya gonna hire a blind tech?????................Colt Pocket Lite..380....... w/ Hydra-Shok 

#38 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Colt Pocket Lite..380....... w/ Hydra-Shok 

Federal Hydra-Shok is the best!  That's what I load in my Kimber Solo 9mm.  Consistent 1.5" groupings.  

#39 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,731 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Love the gear, indifferent on the gat... 'cause I'm a fixer, not a fighter (unless you try not to pay me, then I become a demon-spawned asskicker from hell  :devil:

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 23 January 2013 - 08:41 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#40 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics