Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Admiral gas dryer gets too hot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PrincessJen

PrincessJen

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killian's Irish Red

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

Dear Samurais Great and Small,

I come in peace, however, I think my dryer does not.

After months of noisy, lukewarm, long drying time, I decided it was finally time to get my hands dirty.

It is an Admiral Designer Series, Heavy Duty 20 lb, Giant Capacity Plus gas dryer.
Model LNC8744A87 rev. A. (It was already older than God when we moved in 11 years ago...)

I started by unplugging the electricity, turning off the gas and unhooking it, and unlatching the vent hose thing. (Wow. What a mess.) Next, lifting the top, and hefting off the front panel. (Holy crap on a cracker! Now that's a mess! Obviously hadn't EVER been cleaned out.) Ok. Take out a lot of screws and remove the cylinder and the belt and take a look around inside.

I had to replace the blower. (I can't imagine why it was broken, what with all the lint surrounding and choking it.) Put everything back together enough to turn it on to listen for the noise. The noise I was hearing was actually a combination of 2 - a rattle and a whine...with the rattle fixed now. The other noise I'm certain is coming from the rollers upon which the cylinder rolls. I'll replace those during the open-dryer-heart-surgery when y'all tell me how to fix my final problem:

After putting all the screws in their appropriate holes, closing all open tops and fronts, hooking up electricity, gas and vent hose thing, I felt comfortable turning it on. Luckily, I was a smart blonde (I know, I know, kind of an oxy-moron) and hadn't pushed it all the way into the laundry closet. Especially lucky because within 10 seconds of being turned to the heat-on position, the space on the back of the dryer that lines up with the heat tunnel got so hot that it a.)was too hot to touch and b.)was actually hot enough to dis-color the back of the dryer panel! Immediate shut off. And this was only on the low heat setting! (Fluff is no heat, and seems to be fine and unaffected.)

Note: while I had the head-ache-maker out of the closet, I brought in my high powered leaf blower and, seriously, stuck it in the vent pipe in the wall (sealed it with a towel) and roused a gazillion dust bunnies from their decades of sleep... They are now happily freezing on my roof top.

Is it possible to be 'too clean'?!

I could only find the opposite problem (not getting hot) in my searches and trying to find a manual for something older than God is only mostly a P.I.T.A., with most sites not even finding my model number or saying my number is incomplete and/or filling the number in with numbers of their own. (Yes, I'm very certain of my model number.)

I don't want to just go about, replacing things willy nilly. It could be fun, however, my regular life awaits, as does my checkbook, which is snickering in the background.

Please please please oh wise ones, my husband wishes for his dryer back.

Jen

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:04 AM

I can't find any info on that model .....

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 PrincessJen

PrincessJen

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killian's Irish Red

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Thank you Sensei... :thanks:

What about a similar model? I have no clue how model numbers go, or how close one model would be to another. I also cannot find a manufacture date, only that it was made for Montgomery Ward. :wallbash:

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

nothing similar, but maybe someone else knows ...

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics