Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

RVM1335BC Hotpoint over range Microwave

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RobertR

RobertR

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

The previous owners of our house remodeled the kitchen and had woodmode cabinets installed, with a over-the-rage built in Hotpoint Microwave RVM1335BC. Tonight it went kablooey. I nuked some stuff for me with no complaint, but 30 seconds later when I went to heat up some left overs for the middle kid, the microwave appears totally dead. Nothing lights up, and no sounds and no display at all on the keypad. The last functioning cooking cycle was uneventful - no smoke, no fireworks, nothing unusual.

I have checked the breaker box. No breakers are tripped.

One more clue. For the last month or so, the clock display on the mircowave has not worked. The microwave itself worked, but not the clock. It would either show garbage (bascially all segments on the display lit up) or nothing at all. I could however bang in a cooking time, and it would display the countdown while I heated up my hotdog or whatever.

Any ideas? I really prefer not to have to replace this, since that will require figuring out how to get into a piece of the "custom" cabinetwork that is sealed up with no obvious way in. Ugh....

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

looks like it'll have to come down to remove the Cabinet,
even if just to replace the Fuse

dimensions & info

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 RobertR

RobertR

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

Where is the internal fuse located?

I can pull the control panel and swivel it down exposing a circuit board and what might well be a fuse. I haven't messed with it, since the microwave is plugged in and I haven't switched off the circuit breaker.

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Yes the fuse can be accessed behind the control panel (WITH POWER OFF) - it's a ceramic 15amp slow-blow fuse. Understand that it may be a failure of one or more door switches that caused this so a new one may pop again - then you might need to check further. I advise buying 2 or 3 fuses, and taping leftover one/ones inside the cabinet for future visits.
There are 3 switches in the door that must close/open all at the correct instant or the fuse bites it. One thing I always recommend is to make use of the pause or off button on the control to stop m/w - as opposed to just pulling door handle to stop it. That way you aren't relying so much on the switches to operate properly since the unit is stopped before you pull the door

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 RobertR

RobertR

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Replacing the fuse seems to have done the trick.

However, I am still having trouble with the display. The display will sometimes light up all segments, the go blank. Mostly the clock will not show either. Not a big deal, but suggests to me that the motherboard might be losing it.

The microwave now works. I can cook with it. But the flakiness makes me wonder whether the mainboard is going to fail on me.

Any ideas?

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

Was this issue evident prior to fuse incident ? If so, you may have knocked some wires loose while you're in there.
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 RobertR

RobertR

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

The clock display had cone funny more than a month before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics