Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

rcrice

RVM1335BC Hotpoint over range Microwave

7 posts in this topic

The previous owners of our house remodeled the kitchen and had woodmode cabinets installed, with a over-the-rage built in Hotpoint Microwave RVM1335BC. Tonight it went kablooey. I nuked some stuff for me with no complaint, but 30 seconds later when I went to heat up some left overs for the middle kid, the microwave appears totally dead. Nothing lights up, and no sounds and no display at all on the keypad. The last functioning cooking cycle was uneventful - no smoke, no fireworks, nothing unusual.

I have checked the breaker box. No breakers are tripped.

One more clue. For the last month or so, the clock display on the mircowave has not worked. The microwave itself worked, but not the clock. It would either show garbage (bascially all segments on the display lit up) or nothing at all. I could however bang in a cooking time, and it would display the countdown while I heated up my hotdog or whatever.

Any ideas? I really prefer not to have to replace this, since that will require figuring out how to get into a piece of the "custom" cabinetwork that is sealed up with no obvious way in. Ugh....

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

looks like it'll have to come down to remove the Cabinet,

even if just to replace the Fuse

dimensions & info

Where is the internal fuse located?

I can pull the control panel and swivel it down exposing a circuit board and what might well be a fuse. I haven't messed with it, since the microwave is plugged in and I haven't switched off the circuit breaker.

Yes the fuse can be accessed behind the control panel (WITH POWER OFF) - it's a ceramic 15amp slow-blow fuse. Understand that it may be a failure of one or more door switches that caused this so a new one may pop again - then you might need to check further. I advise buying 2 or 3 fuses, and taping leftover one/ones inside the cabinet for future visits.

There are 3 switches in the door that must close/open all at the correct instant or the fuse bites it. One thing I always recommend is to make use of the pause or off button on the control to stop m/w - as opposed to just pulling door handle to stop it. That way you aren't relying so much on the switches to operate properly since the unit is stopped before you pull the door

Replacing the fuse seems to have done the trick.

However, I am still having trouble with the display. The display will sometimes light up all segments, the go blank. Mostly the clock will not show either. Not a big deal, but suggests to me that the motherboard might be losing it.

The microwave now works. I can cook with it. But the flakiness makes me wonder whether the mainboard is going to fail on me.

Any ideas?

Was this issue evident prior to fuse incident ? If so, you may have knocked some wires loose while you're in there.

The clock display had cone funny more than a month before.