Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fisher Paykel DD603 U1 error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kevinkay

kevinkay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

HI, I am having trouble with my top dishdrawer (DD603) when the ECO button is NOT pressed I get a U1 error at the third fill. The small soap dispencer gets emptyed but not the large, it stops in U1 error. I have switched the control unit, the spin arm, the strainer plate and the motor with the working bottom drawer. If the ECO button is pressed it goes through the whole cycle with no problem. It is only the upper drawer. What should I check next? U1 is water inlet or primming issue, why would the Eco (which is more cycles and hotter water??) make the diffrence?? THANKS! Kevin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fixit45

fixit45

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:38 AM

HI.. sounds a real mystery . but a couple of ideas:
The ECO cycle reduces the temperatures of the washes and rinses, the number of washes and rinses stay the same. I have had temperature related problems on other equipment so suggest you check the inlet hoses particularly around the detergent dispenser unit and he flow through the dispenser..
Ask for a repair manual on the special forum on this site and see how to run the diagnostics for the water supply. You could run this straight after you get the U1 fault.. might tell you something??
As you have swapped the controllers the other difference between the top and bottom drawer is the actual touch pad where you select the program but I cant amagine how his could affect things.
Also make sure water is not syphoning out when it fills. (why it would only do this on third fill i dont know!) Always make sure you have a controller in the bottom drawer otherwise the top drawer does not work.
good luck ..

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:51 AM

from the DD603 Service Manual:

U1 Heavy and Rinse LED
Machine has failed to prime with water within approx. 3 minutes
The water supply is not turned on
The machine is syphoning
The spray arm is not in place
Excessive foaming
The Inlet Valve has failed
The electronic controller has failed
Rotor not fitted correctly

U1 DishDrawer failed to prime with water
within approx. 3 minutes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Yes . . . . . . .. . . . . . .. . . . . . . . No
1 Is the tap turned on? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Go to Question 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . Turn the tap on
2 Is the spray arm in place?
(spray arm may have been
refitted since U1 fault occurred) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Go to Question 3 . . . . . . . . Refit spray arm
3 Activate the water inlet valve in diagnostics.
Does any water enter the machine? . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . Go to Question 4 . . . .. . . . . Go to Question 7
4 Is the impeller on the rotor slipping? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Replace the rotor . . . . . . . . . Go to Question 5
5 Is the supply water pressure above 30Kpa (4.3p.s.i) . . Go to Question 6 . . . .. . . . . . The DishDrawer requires a minimum water pressure installation of 30Kpa (4.3p.s.i)
6 Are the inlet water hoses and valves
free of any blockages or obstructions? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Go to Question 10 . .. . . . . . . Clear the water valves or hoses of blockage or obstruction
7 Is the resistance of the water inlet valve
measured at the plug on the controller correct? . . . . . . . . Go to Question 8 . . . . . . . . . . .Go to Question 9
8 Is there 24V DC coming from the controller
during the water inlet valve test? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Go to Question 6 . . . . . . . . .Replace the electronic controller
9 Are the wiring and edge connections
down to the water inlet valve okay? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Go to Question 10 . . . .. . . . .Replace or repair wiring harness or wiring connections
10 Water inlet valve failure? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Replace water inlet valve . . . .Go to Question 11
11 Is the Rotor fitted correctly? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Go to Question 1 . . . . . . . . . . . Refit Rotor

The old U3 fault, which indicated a failure to drain i.e. water left in the tub,
will not show up a fault and the DishDrawer will continue through the cycle.

For manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

U1 is a user error fault code. Usually this is caused by having the pressure set wrong in the user options, consult you user's manual. If you're sure you have a very low pressure environment, then Tech Bulletin DW047 suggests fitting a 4-litre/minute valve to prevent U1 faults where the water pressure is very low.

#5 kevinkay

kevinkay

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

THANKS for the replies/suggestions. I emailed Fisher and Paykel to the "technical department". I explained my problem. They said it sounded like a dispenser issue, (there is a diverter in there that sends water to either of 2 sides of the dispenser). I swapped the dispenser with the bottom drawer, no change. I emailed back to F & P and they responded "due to liability issues" they can only tell me to call an authorized service person.

Reading more, Is it true that rinse and fast cycles fill on "time" and the normal cycle relies on the "Hall sensor"? Looking at the parts diagram, the Hall sensor is on the bottom of the drawer?? Anyone know how it senses water level, usually its a float....

I will next switch the hoses and the elec. connectors on the inlet valve and see if that makes any change, and if not then I will suspect the Hall sensor.

THANKS!

#6 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

U1 is a user error fault code. Usually this is caused by having the pressure set wrong in the user options, consult you user's manual. .

thats on 601

i would check the drainage and the tube between the filter inside and the rotor

if its not draining well due to blockage or damaged rotor you can get U1 faults

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:58 AM

thats on 601

I don't work on these enough to keep this straight. Domo, J5. :)

#8 fixit45

fixit45

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

This may be of interest.. found on another site.

Archived on: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:58:42
MARKETS: NZ, AU, ROW, US, GB, EU, TW, JP MODELS: DD / DS 603 ACTION: All ph3.5 DishDrawers, (ie. products produced since 4 September 2002, UYM 735384 onwards) are fitted with a 2.5 litre/min fill valve. In some rural installations where the water pressure is very low, the product may display a U1 fault because of insufficient water. This can often be corrected by fitting a 4 litre/min valve. Use:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics