Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Neptune Locked Rotor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JW_novice

JW_novice

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

Model: Maytag Neptune MAH 5500BWW
Serial #: A9658706ER

I know that I have found and read several topics that were similar or the same as this, but I couldn't locate - sorry if this is a complete repeat!

I am having an intermittent, but increasing issue with the "Lr" (locked rotor) error. Now, I am re-starting the current load over ten times and it is still locking up during the spin cycle. I purchased it in April of 2005. Based on the purchase date and the S/N, does it have the new motor or the old one? If I need a conversion kit, should at least some of it be covered under warranty, since the motor has a 10 year warranty?

Based on some of the other threads, I have traced and checked all of the neutral wires and they all seem to be crimped well. Are there other diagnostict tests that I can do?

Thanks,
JW

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:40 PM

A new motor and motor control was introduced to the horizontal axis
washers starting with series 88 domestic.
yours seems to be series A9

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 JW_novice

JW_novice

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Based on my research and experience, I want to add to this post:
First, the "series" of the washer is the first 2 digits of the serial number (for those, like myself who had no idea).
Secondly, the new motor / motor control update kit is for Series 88 and older. For models after 88, you only need the control board, since the motor was already redesigned and updated in your machine.
Thirdly, when they ran out of digits after the "88", they started with letters; therefore, "A9" (my series) is later than 88 (i.e. when they got to 99, they went to A1 and so on)

Lastly (this is the interesting part), it looks like the "kit" is cheaper than the contro board only. This is largely due to supply and demand. Since they had such a huge problem with the older (88 and pre) models, they manufactured a boatload of the "kits". The Maytag (now know as Whirlpool) part number for the kit is 12002039. The control board for the newer models part number is 22004046. When you open up the kit, it has an instruction sheet that shows what the kit includes: motor, wire harness, and control board - part number 2200406.

My local supply house had the control board for $238. The kit was $198..... the motor by itself lists for $161.

Basically, I got the harness and a motor for $40 less.

Hope that this post helps others in the same place.

P.S. Installed the board in about 10 minutes and have done 20+ loads so far without a hitch.
JW

Edited by JW_novice, 17 January 2011 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics