Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana icemaker dispenses too much water

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:08 PM

Hello,

My Amana icemaker Part #SRD25S5W(side by side with water and ice dispensing in left door) dispenses too much water and it flows over into the ice cube bin. I was told it is either the water inlet valve or possibly the ice maker module assembly . Is there any way to verify which one is bad before I start buying parts?

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:37 PM

Remove the module head cover and jumper out T to H to initiate the harvest cycle.  This page explains.  Watch the fill with a flashlight-- could be that the fill spout isn't seated in the fill cup at the back of the icemaker mold. 

You would test the valve by repeatedly energizing it using a test cord, checking to see if it shuts the water off promptly when the power is removed.

#3 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:49 AM

Thanks for the response.

The fill tube is installed correctly. As far as the fill valve is concerned have you ever seen fill valves that stay open 3-4 seconds longer than they should? This is what mine is doing. Is this normally the valve or a problem with power being applied too long?

Thanks Samurai

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:08 AM

Ah, but does it stay open because the voltage is staying on it too long, thereby keeping it open, or is it because the valve is mechanically sticking open?  That is the zen koan for you to ponder. 

I gave you a homework assignment in my last post:

You would test the valve by repeatedly energizing it using a test cord, checking to see if it shuts the water off promptly when the power is removed.

Your report is overdue.  You lose one letter grade according to school policy. ;)

#5 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

Ok here's the latestet Samurai:

Replaced fill valve-no help.  Adjusted water fill level screw-no help.(no change at all) 

Water fill valve gets power for 10 seconds (2.5 seconds too long) I believe Im looking at a bad icemaker module? Any other thoughts, words of wisdom?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:27 AM

Well, it was either the module or the fill valve-- you had a 50% chance of guessing the right part.  I was trying to get you to do a simple test on the valve that would eliminate guessing altogether. 

You need a module.  :cool:

#7 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:40 AM

I know:?.

Thanks for your help. Do you recommend I buy the module for $70.00 or the icemaker assy w/module for $100? Any installation tips? Does anything have to be readjusted, etc.?

Thanks

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:58 AM

[user=29]skoobahead[/user] wrote:

Do you recommend I buy the module for $70.00 or the icemaker assy w/module for $100? Any installation tips?

Wow, I didn't realize the price difference was that little.  Buy the new icemaker.  You'll avoid other future problems with the icemaker such as the teflon finish coming off the mold, thermostat or mold heater going open circuit, etc. 

Installation is plug n' chug.  The new icemaker comes with complete, illustrated assembly instructions.  Allow 12 hours after installation for the new icemaker's thermostat to get cold enough to allow it to start the harvest cycle.

#9 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:15 AM

Ok Samurai,

Installed new icemaker module. Do these need time to start working? I thought water would fill immediately but it's been an hour and nothing seems to be happening. Should I start to worry?;-) 

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:09 PM

Check it later tonight then sing my praises.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics