Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Westinghouse Gas Dryer DG400K - No Heat

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frogeye

frogeye

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi everyone,
first of all please accept my apologies for operating ancient equipment. This dryer hadn't been used much when I bought it used a few years back and it has been working well after I had replaced the coils 2-3 years ago. Back then the gas burner had stopped working and following the forum advice here I picked the coils as being the likely culprit and so it was. Now this weekend the gas burner stopped working again so I concluded quickly that it would be the coils again and since the local supply stores close around noon I quickly picked up a coil kit with the expectations that it would fix the problem. Well, it didn't. I noticed that the igniter is not glowing so I figured that I would swap out and see what happens. With the new igniter installed I still don't see it glowing when the unit is running. All other electrical arts work so the drum is spinning and the blower runs too. The fuse is supposedly turning off the entire until so with the drum running I take it that the fuse is still good. Can anyone confirm? I also read 115V AC on my multimeter at the 2 wires that feed into the coils. There is no gas smell so the valve is keeping shut in lieu of a flame being present.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? What other than the coils and igniter itself would prevent the igniter from glowing? I haven't checked for AC Voltage on the 2 leads feeding the igniter and I also don't understand the function of the flame sensor. Could the sensor prevent the igniter from heating up?

Many thanks for any advice and help. My wife is losing patience and I'm getting close to be forced to take the trip to the appliance store and buy a new dryer.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

DG400K c. 1992
I don't have a wiring diagram for that model
(unless you do that you could scan & upload somewhere)

The Thermal Fuse on the Blower Housing may stop the Drum Motor,
but there's another Thermal Fuse at the rear of the Drum on top of the bearing housing that may prevent power to the Ignitor.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 frogeye

frogeye

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for the quick response, I checked the leads feeding the igniter with the multimeter and get a reading of 38.5 Volt AC. I'm also getting a full 115V read at the 2 wires feeding into the burner unit. I guess that I can rule out the fuse at this point. Does anybody know what the flame sensor exactly controls? Since it being hooked up in parallel to the 2-prong booster coil I am not clear what it exactly does. The 38.5 Volt reading at the igniter wires feels to be somewhat low to me. Any ideas? Thanks again.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

Here's what your thermal fuse looks like==> http://www.repaircli...mal-Fuse/642067

Locate it and measure the continuity.

#5 frogeye

frogeye

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

Thanks, I'm on my way.... :D

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

... Does anybody know what the flame sensor exactly controls?

. . . thermal switch that helps power the Ignitor until it gets hot.
It may be bad or have some "lint" in it's contacts.
Do you have a wiring diagram ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 frogeye

frogeye

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

NooB is back with an update. Checked the thermal fuse for continuity with my Multimeter and found it to be intact. Then I saw RegUS_PatOff comment on the function of the flame sensor and it started to click in NooBs head. If flame sensor is controlling power to the igniter then it's thermal switch should be "closed" when cold and "open" once it is exposed to heat. I unmounted the sensor and tested continuity, negative. I felt somewhat encouraged and went back to my new friends at the appliance parts supply house. Came back with a new sensor and measured continuity, positive, Started to feel really good about this and installed the sensors well installed the burner back into the dryer. Opened Gas valve and plugged in the power cord, pressed the start button and immediately saw the igniter starting to glow. A few seconds later the gas valve opened and BANG! It's up and running again.
My takeaway: Even that in most cases the coils are the culprit check the Flame sensor first before spending you money on replacing parts. It's easy to troubleshoot, just check continuity between both of its wire terminals. If it doesn't pass when cold, replace.

I also apologize for not having provided the full model number when opening this thread: Model# DG400KXW-5, Serial Number XD21532175.

Many Thanks for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics