Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Ice Dispenser Clogging With Ice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 budsreliableapp

budsreliableapp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guiness

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

Greetings Masters,

I have a customer with an older Whirlpool Side by Side fridge model GD25DIXHT00. The ice bucket is in the door and it is clogging with ice about once per week. I tried making the freezer colder, thinking the ice was melting and refreezing. Ice now staying hard and moves about freely except at the very bottom, but the problem with the ice continues. When the bucket is removed, the ice chute has several cubes frozen together. The same is true in the ice bucket's bottom few cubes. I checked the flap, suspecting a leak, and it was sealed. Poured water into chute to double check for air leak but water barely dripped thru. Tight flap. Searched Google, which turned up several similar tales of woe, but nobody offered a good solution. BTW, the cubes are otherwise perfect in size and shape.

Customer says the refrigerator is many years old, but problem is only for last two months. Is this a temperature issue? Is this a moisture issue? Guidance and wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Perhaps the Defrost Thermostat (Terminator) is shorted (enabling the Defrost Heater to be ON the total Defrost time)
OR the Thermostat is no longer in the correct location on the Evaporator Coil

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 budsreliableapp

budsreliableapp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

Thanks for quick response. Interesting ideas. All ice would be melting if defrost thermostat allowed for 20 minutes of heat, no? The ice is perfectly normal except at the very bottom of the ice bin, and that only as a result of ice blockage just below it in the top of the chute. I've worked on all sort of things regarding this system, with frozen water inlet tubes, bad ice makers, and busted dispensers a-plenty. But this one has me stumped.

I looked around the web and found others with the same exact problem, but none with a solution. I will return later in the week and take pictures. Gotta wait a few days for problem to replicate, as it surely will.

Is it possible for me to attach a short video in these forums?

#4 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:30 AM

The flapper is closing on time and not staying open too long? Does this model have a heater on the ice chute? Grabbing at straws here....

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:49 AM

Is it possible for me to attach a short video in these forums?

YouTube, then post the link here ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 budsreliableapp

budsreliableapp

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

Sorry for delay. Am buried with work.

The chute closes in seconds, and closes tightly. Heater? Is ther a heaqter inside these door bin models? Hmmm! How to access it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics