Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Perplexing disorder in my once dependable washer

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anything Sam Adams & Guiness

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

So....great gurus of the appliance world....I have a Maytag washer that doesn't spin.....Here's what it does do....
1) It agitates on all settings (delicate, permanent press, wrinkle control) and in the wash, rinse & spin cycles.
2) It fills to the proper levels and drains...hot & cold work, it goes into the rinse cycle and sprays water as it needs to during this cycle before going into spin.
3) On the delicate setting, during the wash cycle, the tub gives a very weak attempt to spin while it is agitating. I think this is normal for the delicate cycle. When the tub stops trying to spin, I can turn it by hand until stops completely like the brake is stopping it. It's not easy to turn. When I am able to spin the tub by hand (again all of this is only on the delicate cycle), the tub is able to go both ways.
4) On the other 2 settings (permanent press & wrinkle control) in the wash cycle, the tub stays in place and does not spin. It only agitates.
5) I did change the transmission pulley kit along with the belt and this did nothing to help my case. Boo!
6) When I looked under the machine to watch the belt during the agitate and spin cycles, it only moved one direction. The motor does not "reverse" directions to account for the spin cycle.
7) I can turn all pulleys freely in both directions.
8) When I turn the transmission pulley counterclockwise to release the brake, the cams do not move up or down to release the brake. I can take a screwdriver and push the cam into place to release the brake and the tub will spin...
9) Before it started misbehaving, it did make a clunking noise while it was on the wash cycle and made no funny noises while it was on spin cycle on any setting.
10) On my last test, to my surprise, it decided it wanted to start spinning (the brake released) on the wash cycle while in the delicate setting and when I put it to spin, it went right back to agitate....so just to test one more time, I put it back in wash and it agitated with no spin and did the same in the spin cycle.
11) I've tested the lid switch for continuity and contact....passed with flying colors. I've also checked the timer as well, perfect, too.

I have been through every forum I could possibly go through and I have no idea what it could be....
I'm down to these possible causes:
1) Transmission is shot
3) Motor is shot
4) Maybe a faulty brake?
I'm at my wits end. I have the matching dryer and I've had to replace the motor on that....no big deal. Why can't the washer be that simple?
Any ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:31 AM

I looked hither and yonder for a model number in your post but, alas, 'twas none to be found.

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

I looked hither and yonder for a model number in your post but, alas, 'twas none to be found.

:blink: did you look at the sub-topic ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

Nyet, tovarish. I posted my reply from my iphone-- subtopics don't show up in the mobil theme. That'll learn me to try and stay responsive in the forum while on the road! :argh:

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:30 AM

subtopics don't show up in the mobil theme.

could it be the text size OR color ?
can you see the next 3 lines :
line 1 test size 2 grey
line 2 test size 1 black
line 3 test size 1 gray

#6 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Must be the subtopic that doesn't show up in your phone.....because I posted it. Maytag MAVT236AWW. Mfg date. 4/17/2006.

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

So are you saying that the motor does not reverse? if so, could be a timer issue
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

That was my original thought, but the belt spins counterclockwise while it's agitating and it drains while it's agitating. The belt does not spin clockwise like it should for agitation. I spoke to a serviceman and he said it's definitely a transmission issue. What do you think?

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

If the unit is pumping while it should be agitating, what is the agitator doing?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

A most insightful and penetrating question, Master kdog!

#11 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

Well....as I said....it's agitating. Basically, it goes through the wash cycles like it normally should, except it doesn't lightly spin while in the delicate cycle while agitating like it should. Then it goes right on over to the rinse cycle (still agitating) and draining....again no spin, no water remaining in the tub as the rinse cycle should have....and when we get to the spin....oh, oh, what a surprise...it's still AGITATING. That's what the agitator is doing. Agitating just like it's agitating me.

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:02 AM

OK - got it, agitates no matter which direction the motor turns; not looking good for your transmission!

#13 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:14 AM

That's what I was thinking. I thought that might be it the first time around, but then I read so many other posts that pointed to other components and I got so confused! I didn't want to get rid of it if it was cheap part and not too hard to replace......grrr.....those d^%# transmissions....always going out... Thanks for your "quick" response. I appreciate the confirmation of my original diagnosis. :)

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

... grrr.....those d^%# transmissions....always going out...

older Maytag, yes
not the Whirlpools and the newer Whirlpool built Maytags

Whirlpool built Amana ATW4475VQ @ HomeDepot
$ 298 w/free shipping

#15 Mursilis

Mursilis

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

older Maytag, yes
not the Whirlpools and the newer Whirlpool built Maytags

Whirlpool built Amana ATW4475VQ @ HomeDepot
$ 298 w/free shipping

So Whirlpool builds Maytags now? How does one keep track of who is actually behind all the various brand names?

#16 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Research, research, research. Come to find out, my Maytag that went out, was a Magic Chef with Maytag's name on it. Nice right? Apparently Maytag was purchased by Whirlpool right around 2006.
Here's few links....

http://www.msnbc.msn...ss-us_business/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maytag

RegUS ~ thanks for the recommendation...I'm actually thinking about this one...

http://www.samsung.c...rs/WF210ANW/XAA

Consumerreports.org didn't give it the best rating but I've seen a lot of good reviews and not much in the way of issues. Your thoughts?

#17 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Samsung parts & labor may be hard to find

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

WHY is everybody lured to these LGs and Samsung appliances like moths to light bulbs? Does everybody like giving their money to China and Korea? Buy American! Buy Maytag or Whirlpool!
Scott Wolf

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

WHY is everybody lured to these LGs and Samsung appliances like moths to light bulbs? Does everybody like giving their money to China and Korea? Buy American! Buy Maytag or Whirlpool!

As they say in Chinatown: 我們都是中國人,現在

and in Koreatown: 우리는 이제 모든 한국인 아르

Or in Scottthewolf's town: :silly:

#20 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Yes, and I gave my money to a Japanese car company that hasn't let our family down in over 30 years. :) The funny thing is that 70% of the car is manufactured right here in the USA. The engine...well....overseas.
Of course, I do own a Mazda B2300....who makes that? Why Ford of course...that's an American made car and if I'm not mistaken is producted in St. Paul, MN. Of course some of the parts are made in Canada.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics