Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Perplexing disorder in my once dependable washer

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:37 PM

Sadly, they are closing down this plant this year. Keep on buying imports and this is what will continue to happen to our US economy and keep laying people off.

Get it right people, the profits still go to Japan or China, NOT the US.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 27 January 2011 - 06:38 PM.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anything Sam Adams & Guiness

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Then the American workers need to be better at what they do. Sadly, it's all the American made parts on my car that have broken or busted....and it's only piddly stuff that makes the bigger pieces work. For example...Ford Mustang power window motor....and this is probably true for a lot of power window motor...but after a while they stop working to roll up and down the window...sure you can hear the motor running but the window is not moving. You know what causes this? This little "plastic" piece the gears run on eventually breaks. You know why it breaks? Becuase of the "auto" feature on the window switch. People use it and when the window rolls up to close or the rolls down to open, the window motor takes a minute to "sense" the window is stopped so the motor keeps going for 1/2 second or a second afterwards. What happens? That plastic piece gets more wear and tear on it than it should and eventually snaps off. Now the funny thing is you can't just find another little plastic piece to replace it or glue the plastic piece back together. Nope, you have to buy the whole window motor. Now guess where the part is made? The U.S.A. I can see the manufacturer's angle, keep it plastic, piece breaks, get more business...but if the manufacturer makes it as a metal piece, then hey, it lasts longer and the manufacturer gets a better reputaion. People will buy from manufacturers with good reps.

Now back to the washer...I had a Maytag, it lasted 4 1/2 years...I'd prefer not to have to buyer a washer every 4 1/2 years.

#23 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

Of course some of the parts are made in Canada.

:thumbsup: Yep, the best ones !!! (Part #99 and #87)
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#24 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:14 PM

Yes, and I gave my money to a Japanese car company that hasn't let our family down in over 30 years.

... and I bet parts & labor were expensive (and hard to find) back then (and now)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#25 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

<<<WHY is everybody lured to these LGs and Samsung appliances like moths to light bulbs? Does everybody like giving their money to China and Korea? Buy American! Buy Maytag or Whirlpool!>>>

<<<Sadly, they are closing down this plant this year. Keep on buying imports and this is what will continue to happen to our US economy and keep laying people off.

Get it right people, the profits still go to Japan or China, NOT the US.>>>

Another example of morbid absurdity...

Madbrad Wrote:

"The last point is hypocracy. Is every component in your home made by a domestic company or even by workers in the US? Check your TV and your clock radio, your ceramic tiles and hardwood, cabinets, kitchen table, why, we even have things we ar PROUD to tell people are imported! Anyone have bamboo floors? It doesn't grow here!"

Scott Replied:

"Thank You, madbrad, finally somebody who sees it from my perspective."

Scott---you posted the following statement several months ago.
Obviously you've got either a v-e-r-y short memory or you're not one to keep his word...

Scott Wolfe Wrote:

<<<I'll stop my bashing, I will just post my customers quotes from now on.>>>

Edited by john63, 27 January 2011 - 11:25 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#26 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anything Sam Adams &amp; Guiness

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Ok, ok! Sheesh ~ now I do agree with practically everything in my house made in the USA. I do actually look to see if the products are "Made in the USA. There are just some products I think the USA could make better.

REG - Nope, the pricing on the parts isn't that bad...and neither is the labor. I haven't paid labor costs on my "foreign" vehicle in 10 years because as my ID says...I fix it myself. Plus, I shop around to get the best deal on the part. So I would say the upkeep on my "foreign" vehicle is probably less than $500 a year including oil changes and tire rotations. Same with the B2300 (aka Ranger). It's been a real champ and you can let them sit for years like my dad did and they still run. So really it's no more expensive than an American made car.....it's not like I own a BMW or Volkswagen.

#27 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

On the car front and do-it-yourself, you might want to check out RockAuto for parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/

They have a really great parts look-up system too.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#28 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Then these foreign appliance manufacturers have to step up to the plate and be more willing to let US distributors sell their parts and make better appliances. So far on both the LG and Samsung dryers I have had to replace 4 dryer drums because they have ripped at the seam where the drum rollers contact the drum. I have never seen that happen with a US made dryer. And the LG dishwashers? Horrible!
Scott Wolf

#29 Miss Fix-it-herself

Miss Fix-it-herself

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Anything Sam Adams &amp; Guiness

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

Budget Repair ~ I do use Rock Auto. I also have a few other places as well. There used to be a site nissanpartsonline or something like that, but they ended up closing the website. They had great prices (and the lowest usually up to 50% of the cost) on Nissan parts. So much better than the stealerships.

Wolfman Scott ~ that's why I kept my Maytag dryer (the matching dryer to the crazed washer). Love that dryer. It's SO SIMPLE to repair and cheap. The motor went out after 3 years. Bought another one, got a 3 year warranty on it (which it's still under) and I really only have to replace the belt. The funny thing is the motor was replaced with a newer, better motor so that made a big difference in quality. I can't see getting rid of it for something more.....complicated. Another reason I picked the Samsung. Completely easy for me to figure out without reading the directions....

#30 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:50 PM

Then these foreign appliance manufacturers have to step up to the plate and be more willing to let US distributors sell their parts and make better appliances. So far on both the LG and Samsung dryers I have had to replace 4 dryer drums because they have ripped at the seam where the drum rollers contact the drum. I have never seen that happen with a US made dryer. And the LG dishwashers? Horrible!

Ulterior Motive....

Scott Wolfe wrote:

As an ex auto assembly plant worker, I'm sick of imports period. When you have your job eliminated because everybody keeps buying imports, you'll understand.

Out of work? Keep buying imports!
To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#31 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

On the car front and do-it-yourself, you might want to check out RockAuto for parts.

http://www.rockauto.com/

They have a really great parts look-up system too.

This is a GREAT site for auto parts, have used it on numerous occasions to get alternative mfr. part #'s; sometimes it's tough to get any selection from the auto chains up here, and you always get an attitude if you come equipped with part numbers etc. I have also ordered from there a few times and they have them to in about a week up here in Canada; Zero customs issues - shipping is a bit steep, but even then it's usually cheaper than going to the local Yahoo's and much better selection.
Thanks for that link Willie
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#32 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:28 PM

This is a GREAT site for auto parts, have used it on numerous occasions

... yes

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics