Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer; no spin, sparks?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tealbingy

tealbingy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

Whirlpool top loader LSR8233EZ0. My tenant reported that the machine was working fine, then on one load did not spin clothes out adequately. When second load run, no spin at all. Washer agitates, fills, pumps out - but just sits there humming when it should spin. Checked:

Continuity on lid switch - ok
Took off cabinet and looked for items jammed between inner and outer drum - nothing.
Tried to spin tub by hand - won't budge

Looked at tray under washer and found a lot of black granular (rubber?) dust. Also more of the "dust" on items below the brake drum. Brake pads look like they may be tight against brake drum. Can you tell me what to do from here?

Also, used the FixitNow.com flow chart "Diagnosing and Repairing Spin and Agitate Problems in a Whirlpool/Kenmore Direct Drive washer" instructions to check the operation of the clutch disk by, with the cabinet removed, jumping the lid switch harness (tan to gray), putting the unit into spin and watching the clutch disk. Well, when I jumped as advised and pulled the knob after selecting spin, I got a big spark at the jump. Did I fry anything?

This was the last test I did, and I had another used washer to put in place, so I quit and brought the machine home. Really appreciate any advice you can give - you've saved my hide a couple of times, and I've contributed to the beer fund in gratitude!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

Sounds like you jumped one of the outer wires (tan or gray) to the middle, green (ground) wire. If so, then, yep, you fried sumpin'. Probably tripped your circuit breaker.

Use a flashlight to illuminate your work area. "Work area" is defined as wherever your hands are. Use a magnifying glass if you're having trouble seeing details.

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

If you had the correct terminals jumped then you probably didn't have a good connection. The poor jumper connection not being able to take the start up amps sparked and you panicked and shut it down and maybe all is OK.....
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 tealbingy

tealbingy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, I feel better - sparks WERE at the jump point.

Any ideas about the black "dust", apparently from brake drum?

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:20 AM

Black dust is most likely rubber dust from wear of the rubber center part of the drive coupler.

Not uncommon to see some rubber dust, but too much and it might be time to replace the coupler. If the machine still agitates OK then the coupler isn't broken and wouldn't be the cause of your no spin problem.

If the machine agitates OK then when it goes to try and spin you just hear a kind of loud buzzing noise coming from the motor then maybe a click and all is quite then most likely have burnt spin contact points in the timer.
William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 tealbingy

tealbingy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:03 AM

I'll check that coupler - I actually have a parts machine with the identical part, so if it looks better than this one, I'll swap them out.

Concerning the spin, I ran some tests this AM. On my first trial, I hand advanced the knob to spin in the "Normal" cycle, and just heard some humming. Then, on several more trials, the washer spun normally! I hand advanced on all three wash cycles, with the same result. I then went through all three cycles by hand advancing to the end of the rinse cycle - and the machine's timer clicked into the spin cycle at the proper time, and it spun.

Could the timer be getting a bit of contact wear? I played with the shaft of the dial when the machine did not go into spin, but that did not change anything. And now the bugger is behaving normally!

One comment/question. As the washer went into spin, I lifted the lid to peek, and it stopped hard. It that normal? FWIW, I can turn the tub by hand without much effort (but when I first worked on the machine on Monday, the tub would not turn by hand at all - maybe a brake problem?)

Grateful for any advice/opinion you can give!

BTW, great car in the photo - yours?

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

Concerning the spin, I ran some tests this AM. On my first trial, I hand advanced the knob to spin in the "Normal" cycle, and just heard some humming. Then, on several more trials, the washer spun normally! I hand advanced on all three wash cycles, with the same result. I then went through all three cycles by hand advancing to the end of the rinse cycle - and the machine's timer clicked into the spin cycle at the proper time, and it spun.

Could the timer be getting a bit of contact wear? I played with the shaft of the dial when the machine did not go into spin, but that did not change anything. And now the bugger is behaving normally!

Sure does sound like burnt up contact points in the timer causing the intermittent spin problem. You can purchase
a new timer from RepairClinic and if it doesn't fix your problem you can return it and only be out shipping charges.

One comment/question. As the washer went into spin, I lifted the lid to peek, and it stopped hard. It that normal? FWIW, I can turn the tub by hand without much effort (but when I first worked on the machine on Monday, the tub would not turn by hand at all - maybe a brake problem?)

This is a somewhat common problem to see in these units. The brakes may have gotten rust or grease build up on the brakes and it cause them to grab to hard when it stops. Put it into spin with the lid up and timer in spin and pulled out for on. Hold the spin basket with your hand and push the lid switch closed so it is trying to spin but keep a slight pressure on the basket so it just spins slow. This will cause the brakes to drag and clean them off so they don't stop so violently. Also do a few quick starts and stops without letting it get up to full speed will do the trick also.

BTW, great car in the photo - yours?

Thanks, and YES it was my car about 30 years ago, see my profile page:
http://appliantology...pliance-repair/
the background picture is the first day I owned the car, I was 18 years old.

Attached Files

William Burk (Willie)
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 tealbingy

tealbingy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Went back to the machine, and now could not spin by hand when off! Could hear brakes dragging. Cleaned off some gookus in brake drum, then applied a very little silicone grease (we'd done that before with good results). Drum eventually spun easily by hand. Machine is also now not stopping with a jerk when you lift the lid after a spin cycle.

Motor coupling looked okay, so we're giving it a trial here at home before taking it back to the rental property.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics