Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

GE furnace wont stop running

johnjohn

A friend has a GE furnace model #BGLD100C2B01 from the 70s that is running constantly. When i say running, I mean the unit stays lit at all times. I pulled the thermostat wires apart and it kept running. I replaced the sequencer and it still had no effect. I have to shut the gas manually and then the fan will kick off when the temp gets to the setting on the temp switch. When the thermostat is lowered or raised i feel the gas valve clicking when it should turn on or off but it has no effect.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Providing that the gas valve is not getting 24 volts while all this is happening, then.............. The gas valve is stuck open. Good thing the fan/limit switch still worked, otherwise you would be writing " I have a friend who USED TO HAVE a house "

The horror of it all.

What is the world coming to when a gas valve that is only 40 years old stops working? Man, things just aren't built to last anymore!tongue.gif

so my first order of business is to check the gas valve for voltage when the thermostat has called for it to be off? then if it has no voltage when it should be off, it must be the gas valve? are they rebuildable. It is able to be opened up.

Thanks a ton

. . . The gas valve is stuck open. Good thing the fan/limit switch still worked,

if the Gas Valve was "stuck open" , the the Limit Switches wouldn't have any effect on it... :burnin:

The gas valves are no longer rebuild-able. With the furnace running remove a thermostat wire from the gas valve operator solenoid. Be careful not to let the wire short against anything or the thernmostat heat anticipator will be ruined.If she keeps burning you indeed have a stuck gas valve and it will need to be replaced. The gas should cut off quickly. The blower will continue to go until all the heat drops.

I found the issue. The rubber stopper in the gas valve is no longer attached to the lifting arm. The rubber which used to be one solid piece that went thru the hole in the arm has broken. Any ideas the suppliers around me told me they had nothing

CIMG0091.jpg

CIMG0092.jpg

you and i both but couldnt find anythin that would fid without major surgery. Plus this gas valve is actuated by an elecrtomagnet which pulls the plunger up when the t-stat calls for heat. Will i be able to find anything similar?

Archived