Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MAH2400AW Error code E3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 teddychabot

teddychabot

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:PBR

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

To begin with, please be patient as I'm a bit clueless about these things..... Our (second) Maytag MAH2400AW seems to have crapped out on us. My wife says that she got the dreaded error code 3E during a wash the other day, but the basic problem is that it doesn't seem to spin. Using the Maytag Technical Information manual #16023431, I've run some diagnostic tests, but still am not sure what's wrong. After entering the service mode (spin+temp), I've run the Quick Service Cycle. The water flow and drain parts of this test seem ok, but the unit never spins. Still, I get a PA (Passed) code at the end of the test. I have then run various tests using the Board Output Test (temp+extra rinse). I can't tell if the main relay test works, but the hot water valve, cold water valve, bleach valve, and drain pump all seem to work fine. The motor test I'm not sure about as nothing seems to happen when I do that test. I have tried to Display Diagnostic Codes (pressing Chime key and rotating cycle select knob), and seem to have gotten code 3E for the motor test (altho it's a bit tough to tell which code applies to which test). I have also tried the Quick Spin Test (delay start+temp), but the unit doesn't spin at all during that test.

Looking online (this seems to be a common problem with this crappy unit), some people seem to suggest that it's a control panel (??) problem while others say it's a motor problem. Some suggest that I can fix it by checking that the "wires are all connected." Still others say to unplug the unit and let it sit to reset itself (which seems silly, but I'm trying that now). Can anyone help me figure out how to better diagnose the problem and, once I do so, how difficult/costly it will be to fix?? Thanks so much in advance. As I said, this is our second unit of this model (drum on the first one gave out), but we don't have the clanging problem that we had with the last one. I'm debating whether to just get something entirely different and to avoid all the current (and future!!) repair costs. Thanks again!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

did you check the Motor Windings with an OHM meter ?

For manuals and lots of other goodies,
become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

12 page Tech Sheets 16027174
52 page Service Manual 16023430

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,034 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

Some diagnostic tips from Sublime Master john63:

Is the MOTOR corroded/rusty? If so, inspect the rear tub pulley area for evidence of water leaking from the tub bearing and dripping down onto the motor and everywhere else under the tub (reddish-brown stains).
This would indicate a failed REAR BEARING ASSY (leaking/binding/seizing) and/or failed MOTOR.
Was the washer noisy (roaring) during the spin cycle prior to malfunctioning?
(if yes--this is yet more evidence of failed bearings).

The motor is the most common culprit here. Check all the wire connections, undo/redo. If problem persists, replace the motor==> http://www.repaircli...or-drum/1067867

Another tip from Master john:

The DETERGENT DISPENSER BOX will need to be sealed with silicone--the top cover of the DD BOX is removeable. Apply a bead of silicone to the "channel" that the top lid snaps onto.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics