Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid KGRC608LSS0

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BuzzBuzz

BuzzBuzz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

Hi all. I'm a first time poster. Thanks in advance for your help.

My wife dropped the burner grate onto the control panel and shattered the glass. Everything still worked fine, but chunks of glass were slowly shedding onto the floor, so I decided to replace it. I replaced the control panel with relative ease and everything worked perfectly -- for about a day. Then I started to have these intermittent problems:

- Display goes black. No clock. No temp. Beeps are still heard and the oven light button works fine.
- Display comes back, as if nothing was ever wrong.
- Oven (and convection and broil) doesn't heat. Temp states "Lo" forever. Oven light button works fine.
- Oven works fine, but turns off sometime after heating.
- Oven works fine, as if nothing was ever wrong.

I have to think it's related to the control panel in some way, but I can't see how. Could it be just a coincidence that this all starts to happen a day after the repair? The only thing odd I can state regarding the repair was that I was unable to recreate the adhesive/insulated seal between the cooktop and the control panel. It's still nice and tight, but that little bit of seal came off with the old control panel. Please help!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 pigbee

pigbee

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

buzz

it sounds to me like you have a loose connection. take the control panel back apart and check every connection on the control board and display board whether it be a single wire or plug with multiple wires.

#3 BuzzBuzz

BuzzBuzz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:10 AM

Sure enough, there are a couple of broken solders. I'll attempt to resolder tomorrow, but I'm still a little curious as to whether this is the answer. After completing the circuit temporarily, I encountered another problem... certain buttons on the control panel stopped responding (1,2,4,5,7,8,Start among others). These are not all on the same line on the control panel (e.g. 1 and 2 are on the same line as 3, but 3 works). I'll see if it fixes itself after the repain job tomorrow.

#4 pigbee

pigbee

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

if you still have a problem after resoldering, check the ribbon cable, which runs from the main control board to the display board. ribbon cable delivers your selections from the keypad to the main board. I usually will unplug the ribbon cable and clean the terminals at the end of it with an eraser on a pencil. good luck

#5 BuzzBuzz

BuzzBuzz

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

Just to close this out...

I resoldered the board successfully, but still had the problem with the keypad. I wish I had seen the post that said to try a pencil eraser. I also figured it was a problem with the control panel/ribbon, but since it was new and defective, I simply returned the panel for a new one which worked like a charm. Problem solved. Thanks pigbee for your help. You nailed the issue and helped a lot.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:11 AM

I wish I had seen the post that said to try a pencil eraser.

Why didn't you see it? He posted it less than a hour after your post where you found the broken solder joints. If your email is valid, you should have gotten a notification of a reply to your topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics