Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Built-in Electric Wall Oven Temperature Sensor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kc-cat

kc-cat

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

Hello to all,

I have a GE Built-in Electric Wall Oven with a bad temperature sensor (see attached photos). Model JTP20S0F3SS Serial ZG619527Q.

I was getting an F3 error when trying to use the oven. Well, actually, the oven would work for about 10 minutes, and then error out. So, I bought the new sensor, and was going to replace it. However, when I took the old one out, the electrical connector is scorched! You can barely see in the photos where the non-sensor wires on the other side of the connector are a bit discolored, but they are.

At this point, it appears I will need to pull the oven to be able to replace the non-sensor wires as well. Can these wires be replaced with a repair part? If not, it looks like I'm hosed, as the connector is scorched such that the two parts are melted together.

What has allowed this to happen? This seems a bit scary. Help!

Thanks for looking.

Attached Files

Edited by kc-cat, 01 February 2011 - 12:00 AM.

When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:01 AM

Cut the plug out and join the wires direct
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 kc-cat

kc-cat

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:15 AM

kdog,

That's easy enough. But, I'm a bit worried about why they are looking like they are! Any ideas there?

Also, can you tell me if there is a replacement part that would preserve the plugged connection?

And, when cutting the plug off, and joining the wires direct, I assume I should solder the wires together?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

The plastic plug was likely routed too close to the oven liner and got melted, you can change the harness that runs to the board if you wanna keep your oven OEM, if you repair it - yes, solder would be good, covered with some heat shrink and routed as far from hot metal surfaces as possible

Edited by kdog, 01 February 2011 - 12:22 AM.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 kc-cat

kc-cat

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

In my case, there was only one screw in the sensor "mounting plate". There are two holes though. Only one hole in the oven wall though. Would the other half of the mounting plate not being pulled flat/flush against the inside of the oven wall be allowing heat to go around it and through the oven wall wire opening? Should there be some fire proof material stuffed in this hole behind the mounting plate? If so, what would that material be?

So, if I want to check the routing of the wiring harness, I guess this means I'll have to pull the oven out to see, right?

#6 Tuco

Tuco

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tap Water

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

I wouldn't use the "self clean" feature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics