Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Washer Error Code ol

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 2wheel

2wheel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:40 AM

This washer almost always displays an error code of ol at the end of a wash cycle (when Spin light is on). Many times during the cycle before the error code appears, I can select Stop, open the lid, close the lid, and select Start and I do not receive the error. When I do receive the error, I just run Drain & Spin as a workaround. This workaround always works. Some things I have tried, which did not resolve the problem are:

* Unplug washer for 8+ hours
* Pull up on tub to see if it moves freely
* Look for clothing between the tub and inside of frame

I've read a lot online about the problem, but I have not seen anyone posting the solution that worked. I see discussion about what the error code is supposed to mean, things like people having replaced the lid lock and it not resolving the problem, etc. Can anyone help me correctly identify the problem please? My goal is to fix it right the first time AND post my solution in hopes of helping others.

Thank you in advance for your help.

2Wheel

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

oL
Overloaded
oL flashes when the machine/motor control detects a load size that exceeds the washer’s capacity OR basket can not disengage.
This may signify:
➔ Load size exceeds washer capacity.
Remove excess laundry, then restart cycle.
➔ Mechanical friction on drive mechanism,
not allowing the basket to disengage.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 2wheel

2wheel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Thank you for the reply RegUS_PatOff. I know what the error is supposed to mean from reading online. Why do you think (after reading my post) the error meaning applies to my situation? I do not feel it applies (as others do online posting about the same problem) because it happens almost all the time (does not matter the load size) and because of the troubleshooting I described doing on the tub and my workaround that always works.

2Wheel

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:57 AM

I would pull the basket out and examine the main shaft. I see lots of these that the shaft is rusted up and the basket hangs up when moving up and down from wash to spin position. This will cause OL and F-51 errors.

If eveything is good inside, try installing a new set of suspension rods.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 2wheel

2wheel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

Thank you for the reply NickFixIt. I've read about that problem online too. I do not see how that could be my problem though based on my original post. Could you please explain? The reason I am hesitant is because of second item I tried to resolve the problem and my workaround that always works.

2Wheel

#6 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hello, my hesitant friend. We have a saying here in my beloved Afghanistan, "He who dreams of the poppy never rides the yak." In Afghanistan, "riding the yak" is a euphemism for other, more delightful activities that result in a feeling of well-being and satisfaction. Let us leave it at that. Anyway, back to my saying. Why speculate and ask for further clarification when the machine is right there in front of you? Although I am certain that our friend nickfixit would love nothing more than to take time away from running service calls to feed his family so that he can indulge your poppy dreams and explain things he sees everyday on the job-- including this exact problem-- you would find it much more satisfying to "ride the yak" and disassemble your washer as nick suggested.

Allahu Akbar!

#7 2wheel

2wheel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:24 AM

To answer your questions Moostafa, I like to learn and understand things. That is my nature. I am detail-oriented (and logical) but many people are big picture people. I do not know if the two people that posted replies really read and understood what I posted. I feel that way because their replies do not make sense to me based on the information I provided. Or maybe I did not write clearly. Why would NickFixIt's solution be correct when my workaround works 100% of the time? That does not make sense to me.

#8 2wheel

2wheel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Problem fixed. At least after 3-4 weeks and 12 loads of laundry total, there have been no problems and no workarounds used (or needed).

First, I'd like to say the washing machine is a non-HE machine and the proper non-HE detergent has always been used.

Here is the only thing done to resolve the oL error code problem -

Removed tub and cleaned shaft the tub sits on with a Scotch-Brite Scrub Sponge. The shaft had a small amount of goop on it with some ridges. Once cleaned it was completely smooth and uniform. The instructions used to remove the tub were found here - https://secured.whirlpool.com/Service/SrvTechAdm.nsf/2cd44500d572193285256a45004fd9d6/409753510a90c8be852571e90073421b/$FILE/8178583.pdf

Specifically page 4-4 (step e) for how to open top lid frame and pages 4-11 and 4-12 for tub removal were used.

Before reassembling, an extremely light coat of a poly-urea based lubricant grease (with an extremely high shear strength, repelling moisture, and compatible with other greases) was placed on the shaft.

NOTE: The tip found on another website to pull up on tub to see if it moves freely (to determine if there is a shaft problem) did not correctly diagnose this oL error code problem.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:38 PM

First, I'd like to say the washing machine is a non-HE machine and the proper non-HE detergent has always been used.

This is incorrect-- the Kenmore Oasis (made by Whilrpool, same machine as the Whirlpool Cabrio) is a top-loading HE washer. You may choose to believe otherwise but this is simply not reality. Your use of non-HE detergent in this machine is what causes the gunkification of the drive shaft. Read your owner's manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics