Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

The good and bad of Harbor Freight

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

This rotary hammer has worked well for me.
http://www.harborfre...mmer-97743.html

I bought an infrared thermometer on sale for 9.99 from HF, had it a few years and it still works well.

That's good to know. I need another infrared and been contemplating that one.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

I need another infrared and been contemplating that one.

the little grey one isn't as good as the full-size temperature gun

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#23 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

I find the little hand held one to be really nice and seems to do all the same things as the big one and easier to carry and store then the big full-size gun style.

I have the next one up from the $9.99, (I believe it was around $15), it has the laser pointer built in. I've had it for at 3 or 4 years and never had a problem with it and it still has it's original battery.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#24 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

I find this portable mini worklight to be outstanding. What they don't mention in the link is that it also has a magnet but you can see it in one of the images. I can stick this thing under a fridge next to a compressor and it's absolutely great. Been using one for several months now.I try to put their items through the paces before I give a review...this one is a winner and at less than 5 bucks you may want to get several.
Posted Image http://www.harborfre...ight-67227.html

Here is the bigger wired worklight I mentioned in the opening post...another winner. 13 months and counting and never had to change the bulb..magnetic also !

Posted Image http://www.harborfre...ight-46114.html

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 13 March 2011 - 10:38 AM.

#25 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Some HF bad tools can be turned into a great tool with a bit of modification. Here's an example. HF sales a magnetic wrist band for 2.99 http://www.harborfre...band-96533.html.

Posted Image
It works okay, until the metal plate falls off. Under the plate there are 4 fairly strong magnets that allow the wrist band to hold your screws. After the plate fell off of the last band I bought, I decided to use some strong glue to prevent the plate from falling off. While I was at it, I decided to double the strength of the magnets. I took 4 magnetic disks from the previous band and added them to the new band. I simply removed the metal plate on the new one, added the 4 disks, making sure the polarity matched, then glued the top plate back on the band. With the extra disks, I now possess the power of .......

Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 November 2011 - 05:15 PM.

#26 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Could be scary if you were testing a live component and the magnet took a notion to clamp your arm to the chassis whilst contacting a terminal
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#27 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

Posted Image

#28 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

Was that right after the Nuclear Meltdown ?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#29 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

So Tru KDog! I forgot to add the disclaimer "for professional use only......ie do not try this at home. " :)

#30 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

No Harbor Freight store for us up here in Canada but we got, what I believe is equivallent Princess Auto

http://www.princessauto.com/

#31 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

Just when I was feeling like Posted Image

here y'all come and now i feel like Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 November 2011 - 05:48 PM.

#32 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

One of the reasons I really love my local HF store is the knowledgeable sales people at the store will tell me if a tool is crappy or not. I do take into account that they base their opinion on sales returns and non-commercial use. A while back I bought a "Heavy duty" drill powered water pump. http://www.harborfre...pump-98384.html It sucked....uh, I mean...it didn't suck. I returned it and was going to get another one but the sales person said :nono: "they suck."

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 03 December 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#33 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

This 4 piece nylon trim pry bar set from HF is great for removing dispenser trim . Will not mar fridge door. $5.99 http://www.harborfre...-kit-95214.html

Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 03 December 2011 - 06:43 PM.

#34 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

I'm usung a Fluke 116, and I thinks it's an ideal meter for appliance reair professionals. I have the Fluke industral test leads, thermocouples, and an assortment of probes and ends for various needs. The Fluke 116 has thermocouple input and will test capacitors up to 9999 uf. It will also check micro amps for thermocouple diagnosis. Big numbers and a backlit display for those of us getting older and need the help.
" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#35 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'm usung a Fluke 116, and I thinks it's an ideal meter for appliance reair professionals.

This was the first accessory I purchased to adorn my new tool bag last month. I now see what all the fuss is about. Not that it can do any more for my needs than my other meters, but I love it and love needs no reason.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 December 2011 - 09:36 PM.

#36 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Speaking of nylon pry bar set....HF has this one on sale....even better than the yellow ones.I love the wide one....also 5.99 on sale http://www.harborfre...-set-67021.html. Buy either or buy both...why not?

Posted Image
and for a measly 3 bucks...you can get a screw hole repair kit..... I've used this stuff to fill out a worn out screw hole, or placed a slice of it inside a loose oven knob. Been using this stuff for a while....great...it beats using a toothpick or broom straw. Keep a piece in your tool bag and cut a sliver when needed. Comes in really handy.http://www.harborfre...r-kit-7979.html
Posted Image

You can quickly lose your customer's confidence if you pull out a hammer while working inside a fridge. But you can't pass up this little guy for 3 bucks. http://www.harborfre...mmer-95929.html. Feels very comfortable and packs a wallop for such a small hammer

Posted Imageawwww, ain't he cute? Goochie goochie goo little fellow.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 December 2011 - 10:11 PM.

#37 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

also, an extra 20% OFF (even sale items)
with coupons located in various places
inside Sunday newspaper "weekly magazine"
various monthly "home improvement" magazines
(Popular Mechanics, etc)

#38 skintdigit

skintdigit

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Two big keepers from HF for me. I bought a set of Pittsburg(HF brand) socket sets twenty one years ago....I think it was on sale for about $20 for the set of 3 sizes then. Three separate metal cases, one 1/4", one 3/8", and one 1/2" drive. Six point sockets on the larger sets, shallow and deep sockets, and a sturdy breaker bar in the 1/2" set. Have used them a lot since 1990 and have not broken a single part. Good buy for $20.

I also like the HF Bicycle hoist...purchased on sale for $7.00. Everything included for a block and tackle type hoist for light items. Cheap rope, but what do you want for $7.00? Modified ours a bit and use them to hoist kayaks up tight against the garage ceiling for storage:

SD

Attached Files

Edited by skintdigit, 12 December 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#39 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

Not sure how much torque their sockets can handle. More than likely good enough for appliance repair but not for car repair. But their Pittsburg brand tools have a lifetime warranty. Saw a good quote the other day..."With a $100 you can get a nice tool from Snap-on to put in your pocket but at HF, you'd have to back your truck up to the door." Quote could probably apply to returns as well.

#40 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

... their Pittsburg brand tools have a lifetime warranty.

Lifetime Warranty on hand tools (your life) :whistling:

Limited Lifetime Warranty on Hand Tools
Harbor Freight Tools makes every effort to ensure that our products meet high quality and durability standards and warrants to the original purchaser that eligible products are free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product. This warranty does not apply to damage due (directly or indirectly) to misuse, abusenegligence, accidents, repairs, alterations outside our facilities or to lack of maintenance. We shall in no event be liable for death, injuries to persons or property or for incidental, contingent, special or consequential damages arising from the use of our product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics