Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

The good and bad of Harbor Freight

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Lifetime Warranty on hand tools (your life) :whistling:

Limited Lifetime Warranty on Hand Tools
. We shall in no event be liable for death, injuries to persons or property or for incidental, contingent, special or consequential damages arising from the use of our product. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

If it had to happen to me, I can't think of a better way to go out...death by tool...well, death by sex may rank a tad bit higher.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 10 December 2011 - 10:29 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

Okay, so you have a few calls to make. The first one is a fridge repair...gotta test compressor pins, dusty as hell. Either you will look like a dusty bum on your next call, you have some extra work clothes in your truck or you wear one of these before you pull that fridge out... Been using one for over a year now. Durable and look pretty good. They have changed them a bit. The ones I have are a darker denim with a chest level pocket. ..Not bad for 3.99. ...

Posted Image

http://www.harborfre...pron-32306.html also not bad for....Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 19 December 2011 - 12:45 AM.

#43 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:06 AM

Nope...just don't even think about them......

Posted Image

http://www.harborfre...ment-67578.html

because they.... Posted Image

To be more accurate, maybe 2 out of 5 clamps suck. And of course those 2 would be the ones suppose to secure a washer hose in a laundry room with very expensive wood floors.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 19 December 2011 - 01:18 AM.

#44 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

Nope...just don't even think about them......
Posted Image

AGREED ...
luckily, I only need one for a "test" project I was doing,
and I needed a small clamp to hold the Temperature Sensor from a digital thermometer onto the Water Heater's output pipe
Worked OK

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#45 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

These are great to quickly tell if a timer motor is running. Doesn't mean the timer is good, but can help in diagnosis. It's worth the $3 just to see the look on the customer's face when you whip one out.

image_18203.jpg

http://www.harborfre...cope-41966.html

I've also been known to use one when owners of Samsung fridges pass out after getting my bill.

62-2.jpg 1lg035faint.gif

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 10 December 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#46 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:58 PM

bought this on a whim.... It's not a tool for appliance repair but can be great for stress relief. Using it for about a month, got some 38 caliber round ammo and you would be amazed at the damage it does to a bad GE Muthaboard used for target practice. Oh, and I haven't shot my eye out yet. Pretty good for six bucks

Posted Image

"Okay you bad mutha, this town aint big enough for the both of us.....draw!"

Posted Image .... Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 29 December 2011 - 11:43 PM.

#47 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Harbor freight furniture sliders.
Posted Image
Furniture sliders are great for moving appliances without damaging floors. In addition to spraying floor with windex, connect fishing lines to two of the sliders in order to pull then out from behind an appliance when space is limited. Great tips I found out about on this site.

Anyhow compared to the sliders you get at Home Depot or Lowe's, for heavy appliance moving, Harbor Freight sliders:
.Posted Image

They break easily under weight and not worth the 3 bucks. Also the EZ Move sliders you see advertise on TV (got as a Xmas gift) suck as well due to the design of the slider. The lifter is wonderful, easy to carry as it breaks down into two parts. It easily lifts a tight fitting fridge in order to put sliders on the front legs/wheels. I use the lifter with Home depot sliders...great combo.

#48 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

These nonflammable noncorrosive stainless steel cable ties make quick work out of securing loose defrost heaters or evaps. 25 for about 6 bucks. Don't think they transfer heat well enough to use to keep defrost drain tube open after securing to a defrost heater. Otherwise very useful. steelties.jpg
At 150 lbs working load they also come in handy when playing a quick game of cops and robbers with that customer's young'un who keeps going into your tool bag. "Zip....Zip" and instant handcuffs on the little thief. Keep telling him it's a game until you can make your getaway. http://www.harborfre...ties-92515.html

For $2.50 you can be the proud owner of these compact nippers
image_18691.jpg
http://www.harborfre...ers-39531.html.

Great for cutting stems on those universal infinite burner switches. You know the ones I am talking about....those "damn I bent too much off the stem and I ain't got another one with me" switches. These nippers are compact so you may need several cuts or opt for the 6.99 bigger brother.

Now I have used this driveway alarm system for quite a while and for numerous purposes
alaimage_11813.jpg

Use it in my store when everybody is gone and I need to work on something out back where I can't hear the door chime. This thing is loud and has great range (300ft) between the sensor and alarm module. Everything is portable. You can throw the sensor in your truck and place the alarm on your night stand or carry it in your toolbag when you need a quick and dirty silent alarm.

Best of all is its intended purpose: Nail one to a tree next to your driveway and when your wife comes home on your day off, you'll have time to stop posting on appliantology and grab the vacuum before she walks in. On sale for 15 bucks
http://www.harborfre...stem-93068.html

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 August 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#49 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

harbour freight got some nice vise grip hose pliers  beats emptying  or drainig water 12 dollars a pair had for 8 months now no problems

#50 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

harbour freight got some nice vise grip hose pliers  beats emptying  or drainig water 12 dollars a pair had for 8 months now no problems

I read somewhere they were pretty good. Tried to get some last year but my local store doesn't carry them. I check the aisles from time to time. I guess I coild order them but for me, HF is a spur of the moment kind of place.

#51 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

Flaring Block works for this as well, remove the pivot bolt and reverse the jaws so the flat edges meet - then you can double the hose over and pinch off with the block

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#52 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Buckler

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

Dead Blow Hammer

http://www.harborfre...mmer-68981.html

Quality tool. Comes in handy sometimes.

1/2" Electric Impact wrench

http://www.harborfre... IjoiODA1MiJ9

Actually used this to remove a stubborn tub nut with a 38mm Axle Nut socket. Loud, but this thing is a beast for $40. Beats that spanner tool!

Nitrile Gloves

http://www.harborfre...0-pc-68511.html

Use them daily .. I'll try the blue ones soon also.

Small movers blanket

http://www.harborfre...nket-47262.html

Very happy with this! Thin, light and perfect for basic protection of customer property. For messy jobs I bring out the full size blankets. I use this for clean work.

3" Screwdriver Bit Set

http://www.harborfre...-set-97807.html

Great value. These bits are tough and have held up great.

Reality for me is a lot of Harbor Freight offerings are garbage, but these represent a few of the gems for me. I'll add to this list as I think of other items that have worked out for me.

oh... and I never shop there without a 20% coupon and a free item coupon. I have like 20 of the led flashlights ;-)

#53 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

AGREED ...
luckily, I only need one for a "test" project I was doing,
and I needed a small clamp to hold the Temperature Sensor from a digital thermometer onto the Water Heater's output pipe
Worked OK

Definitely don't use these clamps to secure hoses in your car either.

Scott Wolf

#54 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

HF out of Corpus Christi had a tent sale last weekend.  Offered a pancake compressor for $39.99, regular $119.99.  Bought one & a 25' coil hose with fittings & a air nozzle.  Total cost less than $50.  Used the rig twice already, cleared a freezer drain & blew out dryer parts.  Helps speed the job & both customers were impressed.  Plus I blew all the dust of me putting my tools up.   Don't expect  to shingle a house but it works for me in my business.  :yes:

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#55 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

HF out of Corpus Christi had a tent sale last weekend.  Offered a pancake compressor for $39.99, regular $119.99.  Bought one & a 25' coil hose with fittings & a air nozzle.  Total cost less than $50.  Used the rig twice already, cleared a freezer drain & blew out dryer parts.  Helps speed the job & both customers were impressed.  Plus I blew all the dust of me putting my tools up.   Don't expect  to shingle a house but it works for me in my business.  :yes:

So that's what that thing is for. When I read "pancake compressor" I thought it was used to weight down a stack of flapjacks pressing them together so they wouldn't fall off a plate.

#56 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

In case someone here does not know this, Harbor freight always has coupons available for 20% off a single item and free item coupons. EVERYTIME I go to HF I get at least 20% off the most expensive item along with a free item. Right now they have a 25% coupon until June.

hb25off.jpg

freemeter.jpg

20130530scissorsfwap.jpg

20130502flashlightfwap.jpg

20130426screwdriversfwa.jpg

20130407tapemeasurefwap.jpg

I have about 10 of the flashlights.!With better batteries they are pretty nice.

Today I just picked up this shallow metric impact set

http://www.harborfre...-set-67902.html

and a free pair of scissors for less than $21 tax included.!

Edited by Ohm, 16 March 2013 - 09:25 PM.

#57 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

thanks...

where are these coupons actually from. ?..

some stores may not like "copies"

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#58 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

I am a member of their fast track program and the coupons we get are online from their site.

#59 Ohm

Ohm

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

thanks...

where are these coupons actually from. ?..

some stores may not like "copies"

Slickdeals.net

Over the years I have never once had a cashier question or refuse a copied/printed coupon. This is probably because HF offers so many "printable" coupons. In addition, the 20/25% off coupons say they are not good with any other offer, but I always use a free item coupon in the same transaction EVERY time and have never even had a blink from the cashier.

They are strict however about the "excluded" items for the 20/25% coupons like welders, tool cabinets, tool carts, etc.

#60 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

For a paltry $29 this is an excellent protective case for your sensitive electronics.....http://www.harborfre...case-69318.html

Here is my case, currently loaded with a GE diagnostic aid, whirlpool ice maker tester and two supco data loggers :

20130520_015708_zps43a97d57.jpg

Customers have no choice but to pay you big bucks when you walk in with something so professional looking. It's an attention getter and bespeaks knowledge and class.. Best of all, while your customer is dazzled, staring at the pretty case, you can quickly log on to Appliantology and plead for help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics