Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Advantium 220 microwave electrical burning smell

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ibis81

ibis81

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:52 AM

So i did the test outlined. I ran the microwave with the magnitron disconnected. Everything seemed to run fine.

After I did the test. I unplugged everything. When I shorted the capacitor it did not appear to have held a charge, nothing at all. Is there anything that could account for that?

I am thinking that the high resistance reading I got on the transformer (1.2ohms instead of .25ohms) indicates a winding fault int he transformer. That would mean that the capacitor is not being charged correctly by the transformer. When I test the capacitor it responds correctly as noted above. Also the diode seems to function properly so its not draining the capacitor.

Am I on the right track, or way off base?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

I wouldn't think the Transformer would increase in resistance..
It would normally "open" or "short"
Are you using a digital OHM meter.. ?
on the 200 OHM scale ?
and when it's probes are shorted together.. reads 0.0 ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#23 ibis81

ibis81

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:42 AM

I wouldn't think the Transformer would increase in resistance..
It would normally "open" or "short"
Are you using a digital OHM meter.. ?
on the 200 OHM scale ?
and when it's probes are shorted together.. reads 0.0 ?

I am using a digital multimeter that zeros when the probes are touched. High voltage tap to chassis reads 63 which is correct. From primary to primary it reads 1.2 (spec is .25). Filament to filament is 1.2 (not sure what spec should be). filaments to ground is infinite. primary to ground is infinite. I read elsewhere that a substantially higher primary to primary reading could indicate an open winding. I dont know if 1 ohm is substantial in this case or if an open winding would cause the capacitor to not charge.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#24 ibis81

ibis81

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

I am using a digital multimeter that zeros when the probes are touched. High voltage tap to chassis reads 63 which is correct. From primary to primary it reads 1.2 (spec is .25). Filament to filament is 1.2 (not sure what spec should be). filaments to ground is infinite. primary to ground is infinite. I read elsewhere that a substantially higher primary to primary reading could indicate an open winding. I dont know if 1 ohm is substantial in this case or if an open winding would cause the capacitor to not charge.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

So it looks like the capacitor has an internal discharge resistor. So that's why i get no charge. Maybe I am over thinking this and the fuse holder melted because of a poor connection. The only thing that tests out of line is the HV transformer as described above.

#25 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:15 PM

... primary to primary it reads 1.2 (spec is .25).
... Filament to filament is 1.2 (not sure what spec should be).

yes.Transformer Primary winding should be 0.25 OHMs
Transformer Filament winding should be 0.4 OHMs
(as shown in the service manual)
IF the Primary was "open", I wouldn't think it would blow the Fuse.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

The Willie Method ™ for testing a microwave oven magnetron tube

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 18 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

Sometimes, when you're troubleshooting a microwave, it can be tricky to tell whether or not the magnetron tube is bad. In the case with many GE microwaves, the magnetron can test good according to the filament resistance specifications yet fail when you're actually trying to get the damn thing to heat up your bagel.

One of the outstanding Master Appliant...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics