Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub-zero 550 and the dreaded question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,630 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

The scene: Fridge is icing up at the bottom of fridge compartment (bottom freezer style) and and a degree or two above normal in the upper area . I understand this model can lose some of it's insulation between fridge and freezer over a period of time and a heater kit is made for this situation. I did move thermostat up and it helped with the upper area but still freezing at bottom.

The facts:
Money is no object but customer is frugal .
This is a garage fridge used mainly for storing beverages
Customer has a separate garage freezer
Less than $200 in repair cost but Customer questioning whether a smaller, energy star rated fridge would be better (the dreaded repair or buy new one question)

The plot (in development with your assistance):

Possibly tell the customer to turn the unused freezer section to its warmest temp hopefully solving the fridge freezing problem and reducing energy usage. I do not have a lot of experience with sub-zeros so I don't know if this is possible or not. Any advice?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 February 2011 - 08:04 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

How about just turning the freezer drawer off, since they have a separate freezer anyhow.
this will save some energy as well as taking advantage of the best feature of subz...separate cooling systems.
I have installed the repair kit for this issue a few times...just a heater for the divider wall...could prolly accomplish the same thing with a piece of insulated duct board, cut to fit and sealed in place,if looks are not important.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

How cold is the garage? If it's winter-cold in there, that can damage the compressor on any fridge. Will also cause weird run cycles.

The icing you're seeing-- is it rime ice like from a defrost failure or solid ice like from a plugged condensate drain?

$200 repair on a Sub-Zero vs. buy a new cheesy box, that's a no-brainer: do the repair and keep the Sub-Zero. Posted Image

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,630 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

I thought about turning the freezer off but did not know if that would create a mold issue in the freezer section, so I thought turning it down would be better. I like the insulation trick.

I tested fridge a couple of times and waited until the outside temperature was quite warm. I have been on a few calls where outside temp wrecks havoc with single evap fridges run cycle wasn't sure about subs but I waited for warm weather just to take that out of the equation. The ice is of the solid variety. I think the heater will solve Ice problem but customer weighing buying heater, energy costs, replacing hard to find glass crisper tray shelf. If making freezer warmer (or turning it off) would eliminate need for heater and reduce energy cost, then customer would probably go for that. I was just not sure of any ill effects created by turning freezer off, or making it warmer. BTW they keep nothing in freezer compartment so that may also cause freezer to run more than usual.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics