Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid fridge with foul tasting water

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jgj

jgj

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:OMB Copper

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

We recently purchased a home and inherited a KitchenAid refrigerator (MODEL # KSRB25FKSS01) in good working order, except for the water and ice. After investigating I discovered that there was no water line from the water supply connected to the unit, which I promptly installed. Now the water and ice are flowing fine, but with an offensive taste. When I first tried the water dispenser the water was very cloudy and cleared after dispensing several gallons, but it retained a bad taste. Next step I installed and new water filter (original part) with the anticipation of having water without the bad taste. Didn't happen, still has a a musty bitter taste.

My suspicion is that the water supply line was disconnected for several years, with some water remaining in the lines to "ripen" or "grow stuff" that is now a part of the plastic tubing lending to this foul taste. As a note, the water coming from the water supply valve, before entering the fridge, tastes fine.

Questions / Options:
1) Can the water system be cleaned somehow to eliminate this odor / taste?
OR
2) Do I need to replace all of the plastic water lines? If this is required, can you provide guidance on how and the recommended parts?

KitchenAid / Side by side / Model# KSRB25FKSS01

Thank you
Jonathan

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:07 AM

Start with this:

http://www.repaircli...er=KSRB25FKSS01

00752793.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,079 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

Yeah, what Kdog said. More than likely a moldy reservoir. Check the resevoir behind your crisper trays in the fridge section. Replace it if yucky, or you can try to flush the line by pushing vinegar or a baking soda solution through the line, let it sit for a while then purge the line.

Others may know of a better way to flush the line, but you can disconnect the line from the spigot and the fridge water valve, remove all water in that line, connect it back to the fridge water valve, use a syringe or one of those marinade injectors and shoot vinegar or baking soda solution through the end that is disconnected from the spigot. Reconnect line (make sure not to let solution run out) to spigot and turn on water. While looking at reservoir, dispense water until solution enters reservoir and then stop and let it sit. Next step, get a bucket and purge the line about a gallon or more. Repeat if necessary.

If replacing the reservoir or purging the line doesn't solve the problem, who needs refrigerated water anyway? You can get all the filtered water you need from a couple of six packs of Bell's Two Hearted, well at least on the weekends anyway.

PS Speaking of filtered water, I am assuming you did change your fridge filter....but then again....

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 jgj

jgj

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:OMB Copper

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

Thank you kdog and DurhamAppliance for the replies and advice. I checked out the reservoir and the tubing has some discoloration that I assume is a result of mold/mildew growing when the system was disconnected. I will go through the steps to remove it and clean it. If that does not work then I will replace with the part referenced by kdog.

I had replaced the old filter (left in for years I assume) with a new one.  Here's the filter I bought:  http://www.repaircli...er=KSRB25FKSS01

Thank you - will follow-up with the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics