Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Icemaker Won't Fill or Harvest

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:26 AM

Hello!

I have a GSS25PSMF BS GE Refrigerator with a CAN13 WR30X10012 (DR. NO. 200D1181g011) automatic icemaker.

The icemaker does not fill with water or harvest partial cubes that are already frozen.

When the freezer is warm after it has been off for a while, I turn on the icemaker and it spits out water for about half a second, then the rake spins around about 1 and 3/4 rotations and then the green light starts blinking.

When the freezer is cold and I turn on the icemaker, the rake spins around until it gets to the front and then stops (in its home position, I'm assuming), but then nothing ever happens. If there are small frozen ice cubes ready for harvesting (from when the water that spit out several times for half a second on previous tests), it never harvests them. It also does not try to fill the ice tray. It does not go into fault mode; it just sits there and does nothing.

Also, I've tested the valve using 110VAC and it works just fine (also I know it works fine because it spits out water for 1/2 second on a warm startup), so I know there's no clogged lines or anything like that (unless the inlet line is freezing...).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Neville

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

If the valve tests good then it sounds like an ice maker failure.
http://www.repaircli...ber=GSS25PSMFBS

#3 freespeech

freespeech

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Oatmeal cream stout

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

Flashing green light is bad Icemaker
E. Spayd
Co-owner All Area Appliance Repair Service
http://www.allareaservco.com

#4 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

Does anyone have any other suggestions rather than just to replace the icemaker? What could be causing this behavior? I'd rather not replace the whole icemaker. Thanks.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,518 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

That's the drill with this one, Hoss. This icemaker is not repairable. That's GE fer ya. Posted Image

Icemaker part link==> http://www.repaircli...ber=GSS25PSMFBS

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Does anyone have any other suggestions rather than just to replace the icemaker?

Posted Image

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#7 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

Thanks to all for your help. I opened up the icemaker and found the problem. The interior paddle arm that contacts the rake cam had snapped off. Please see the attached photo. I can't believe that they designed it like this! Even a slight outward tug on the exterior paddle would break the interior paddle arm every time.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/BonwitUser/Desktop/TBshared/Freezer%20part%20photos%20cropped/Freezer%20001_compressed.jpg

At any rate, does anyone have a broken CAN13 icemaker that they'd be willing rip apart and sell me this part out of? I'll be happy to pay you $30 for it so I don't have to buy a new icemaker.

Thanks,
Neville

#8 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:44 PM

I'm not sure how to post the photo...any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,518 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

Use an online image hosting service and then post the link here.

#10 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

Thanks! Here's the photo of the part!
Posted Image[/url]

#11 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

I forgot to mention...because the end of the part snapped off, it no longer engaged the rake cam, and so the paddle didn't move in and out with the rake motion. As a result, the magnet on the paddle (see above photo) no longer moved back and forth across the hall sensor on the circuit board and the microcontroller didn't see any paddle movement in conjunction with the rake movement. As a result, it must have figured that something was wrong with the paddle and went into fault mode.

I just tested the icemaker with the part glued (very carefully!) back together and ice cubes are popping out and everything seems totally normal. So if anyone has an old CAN13 unit and is willing to sell me this part, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Neville

#12 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

Here it is with a more reliable file server...sorry about the previous link to the photo not being reliable...

Posted Image

#13 nb1forxp

nb1forxp

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have a GE CAN13 icemaker that they'd be willing to sell me this part out of?

Thanks,
Neville

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics