Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cabrio Washer won't balance

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 drt1200

drt1200

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have a Cabrio WTW6600SB2 washer. Problem is I can't get it to balance. Even with an empty tub, it just starts bouncing and thrashing around as soon as it starts to spin up. I can't see anything obvious wrong. All the struts seem intact. There is no unbalance sensor or switch shown on the schematic nor can I find out how the machine senses that is off balance. I am at my wits ends with this POS. Any help of ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

replace suspension rods left or right rear is bent

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

Part links to:

Suspension rods==> http://www.repaircli...mber=WTW6600SB2

Suspension ball kit==> http://www.repaircli...mber=WTW6600SB2

#4 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

Please check for bent suspension rods, but normally bent suspension rods do not make the tub jump up and down when spinning empty. What has happened is the tub is not sitting down properly on the shaft after emptying. The way this unit works is when the tub fills with water, it floats up with the water. This floating allows it to agitate. Then when it drains the tub drops, sliding down the center shaft. Either something is under the tub holding it up slightly or the center shaft has become rusted/corroded and pitted. When this happens the tub does not sit all the way down or settles down uneven when drained. This is what causes the jumping up and down of the tub on spin. Bent suspension rods can cause this too, but usually when loaded, not empty.

The repair is to replace the outer tub and inner basket. You can clean the shaft up and lubricate it, but this is a temporary repair and will last 6 months at most.

The suspicion is that this issue is usually found on units where the customer is NOT using HE detergent. This causes the scum buildup which eventually messes up the shaft.

Edited by Strathy, 17 February 2011 - 09:10 PM.

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

Good points, Master Strathy! An easy check for non-HE detergent use/gooked up drive shaft is to remove (or try to remove) the inner basket. If it's rusted/gooky/seized, well, we know the name o' dat tune. :whistling:

#6 Southern Appliance

Southern Appliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

On three different occasions I have encountered Cabrio's with this symptom.
Every time the problem was water infiltration into the flotation chamber at
the bottom of the inner tub.
If you can get the inner tub out , hold it by the top & try to gently swirl the water in the balance ring.
If it has water in the bottom chamber you can not even hold on to it!
This may sound crazy but I could not believe it either.
As Strathy & Samurai said it is caused by non HE detergent use.

#7 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

I just looked at a kenmore elite oasis with this same complaint which is the same as the cabrio correct? What does the flotation chamber of the inner tub look like? Is that just the main bottom of the inside of the inner tub? or is it on the out side of the inner tub on the bottom? Southern Appliance said it was from water infiltration into the flotation chamber. What causes the infiltration? How do you stop the infiltration? Would this need inner tub replacement to correct if the flotation chamber has water in it? I am assuming pulling the inner tub and gently swirling the water in the balancing ring is checking for said water infiltration. Is that right? What does the balancing ring look like and where is it located? I know it is alot of questions, but I'm just trying to understand the diagnosis and repair for this complaint.

#8 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

If I need to lubricate the shaft what lubricant should I use?

#9 jkilgore34

jkilgore34

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

Ok I have found some of my own answers from surfing the web. I found out what and where the flotation chamber was. It is supposed to be dry and air tight in their right? I saw a post on another site where someone drilled holes in the chamber to drain the water and then plugged the holes somehow? Could someone reccomend a way to seal the holes after drilling? Note this is a customer's machine, not mine. Or would you just reccomend replacing the inner tub if I do indeed find water in the flotation chamber? I also saw some posts saying it could be the suspension rods. How can I tell that the suspension rods are ok or not?

#10 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

I do believe a couple people in this thread are confused, and one may be headed for a major disaster.

The floatation chamber is the empty spaces under the plastic base of the basket. Air is captured there when the tub fills, causing the basket to float upwards to disengage from the drive cog so the wash plate can oscillate separately. The automatic water level sensing function is also related to the basket floating. If the basket base is damaged such that the floatation chamber can't hold air, then the basket won't float, the machine can't sense the required fill level and can't agitate.

There are BALANCE RINGS integral to the top and bottom of the basket that are approximately half-filled with water. The water is *supposed* to be there. It didn't "infiltrate" into the chambers, they are factory-sealed with the water already filled. DO NOT drill holes to drain them, the machine WILL NOT spin properly if the balance rings leak or are purposely drilled/drained. The water serves as a gyroscopic balance effect during spin.

Fisher & Paykel washers that use the same basket and drive design state in the service docs that the basket must be within a specific weight range per the water in the balance rings ... weighing the basket is one way to determine if the ballast water has leaked out ... the basket must be replaced if it has leaked. I've not seen a stated basket weight for Cabrio/Oasis/Bravos units, but the same concept surely applies.

#11 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:35 AM

I agree with DADo on this, the balance rings are supposed to have a measured amount of Sodium Chloride (aka "Water") in them as well as some trapped air for buoyancy and to "smooth" any imbalances in loads - bad Strut Rods can definitely cause the machine to shake like a dog shitting razor blades, unfortunately so can failing Bearings. Remove the motor Stator from under the tub and check for tell-tale signs of sludge leakage

P/M'd the service document (8178583)
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

for reference:
Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#13 DRBROKURT

DRBROKURT

Unsui

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:CAFFEINE FREE DIET COKE

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

In one case I found that the inner tub was loose from the base plate of the tub,causing the tub to go off center,it is crimped at the factory,the teltale sign was wear at the point where the ss sides meet the base,the tub could be slid to the side 3/8 of an inch.hope this helps.drbrokurt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics