Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Japanese laundy machines?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 edwardh1

edwardh1

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:05 AM

What keeps Japan from getting into the laundry products biz? - washers dryers etc ?
Too big to ship value wise, compared to say VCR/Cd players?
Some other reason?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 April 2005 - 10:09 AM

[user=27]edwardh1[/user] wrote:

What keeps Japan from getting into the laundry products biz?

Nuttin', they are getting into it.  I'm seeing more and more refrigerator evap and condenser motors from Panasonic.  Some of the electronics used are from Japan.  Panasonic is also getting into microwaves in a big way, as elucidated by the Iceman.  If there's money to be made, they'll make bigger steps into it. 

But major appliance manufacturers are sucking butt profit-wise lately.  Read about Maytag's and Whirlpool's profit woes.  In the free market, the profit motive is the prime mover-- white elephant's don't live long in the free market jungle.  If a Japanese, or any other company, thought it could make a return on investment by manufacturing major appliances, they'd do it in a fartbleep.

#3 edwardh1

edwardh1

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

the whirlpool atricle was confusing in that they seemed to be saying costs had gone up but they were covering it by raising prices.

Lots of mini split air conditioners on caribbean Islands
Sanyo mitsubshi panasonic and some other japanese brands,

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:58 PM

[user=27]edwardh1[/user] wrote:

the whirlpool atricle was confusing in that they seemed to be saying costs had gone up but they were covering it by raising prices.

That's ezzzacly what's happening.  The eroding dollar is making imported parts more expensive on top of added energy and steel costs.  They know they'll reach a choke point at which more people will opt to repair vs. replace == profit squeeze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics