Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Fridge Door Water Woes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnjk

johnjk

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

Greetings,

I have a GE Fridge GSS25LGMF WW. Purchased in 2001. It has worked great up to a minor problem today. The water through the door stopped working this evening. Worked fine, normal pressure, then the next time we went to use it, nothing. Ice maker still works (fills when calls for water, separate solenoid and water line).

So far I have tried the following:

Verified that water solenoid is operating.
Verified that I have water coming from valve at rear of fridge when water dispenser activated.
Replaced water filter.
Verified that I have water coming from the tubing running to the freezer door when water dispenser activated.

This tells me I have no blockage up to this point, so my issue is in the freezer door.

I'm not seeing how to get in to the door to check the tubing. My guess is I have a blockage up near the discharge spout. I would imagine that discharge assembly for the ice and touch pad come apart, but am not seeing it and don't want to mess it up.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

You possibly have a frozen water line inside the freezer door. GE makes a heater for this problem .

Posted Image You can get it here: http://www.repaircli...t-WR49X10173-==

BTW to remove touch pad, with the help of a small pointy thing or small screwdriver......Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 21 February 2011 - 10:14 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 johnjk

johnjk

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I did figure out how to get the touch pad off late last night. Disconnected power to the fridge and removed it so I could see if I could get any further into the water dispenser. No such luck. Reassembled, tested and still no water. Tried it this morning and it is working again. Do you know is there a solenoid valve up by the dispensing tube, or is water output only regulated by the solenoid in the rear of the fridge?

The lines for the heating unit... where do they run? Inside the tube, outside next to the tube??

I do appreciate the assistance.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,104 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

No solenoid in dispenser, just a microswitch that energizes water valve in back of fridge. From what I gathered from your earlier post, you are getting water to the freezer door. This eliminates any problem with the microswitch. You already figured out the hard part of the installation..ie removing control, just follow included instructions. Very easy install.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 22 February 2011 - 09:16 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Dispenser inop.
Appears impenetrable!
Screwdriver in tabs.

Posted Image

#6 johnjk

johnjk

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

That is correct. I am getting water to the door. I'll order a kit up today.

Thanks for your assistance.

#7 johnjk

johnjk

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:51 PM

Easy installation. Kit came in last week. Very quick delivery. Thanks. Took longer to clean out the area where the heating element sticks than doing the actual install.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,848 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

You're rocking the Casbah! Posted Image

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Water dispenser in a GE refrigerator keeps freezing up

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 06 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

Chief Durham nails it:

You possibly have a frozen water line inside the freezer door. GE makes a heater for this problem .

You can get it here:...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics