Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid KUDP01ILBT dishwasher loud grinding noise

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'm pretty handy so I don't wind up having to hire someone to fix things. And I try to buy quality because I don't want to have to deal with breakdowns - I don't want to spend the money on someone to come out and for me to diagnose and fix things takes weeks and earns me my wife's ire :)

So all that said, can someone help me with this dishwasher? I bought it in October 2004. Bought a 4 year extended warrantee, for whatever that's worth. I've taken off the spray arm and screen a couple times over that time and washed off the 'papery' buildup and cleaned the impeller and 'sump'? of food bits, used a dobie pad (plastic netting over a sponge) around the door frame and stainless interior to get rid of the few bits of stuck on food, etc.

Anyway, it seems that rather quickly over the last couple weeks, this machine is making a loud steady noise through most of its cycle. Googling 'kitchenaid dishwasher noise' or similar search terms and it comes up with loads of 'replace the motor' threads. Is that it?! $100+ of parts? seems a design flaw / poor quality that a 6 1/2 year old machine would need that? Or am I out of touch / expecting too much?

Some troubleshooting advice please? I took off the screen, plastic tube to the upper arm, etc and can see the grinder / screen (the grinder rotates when I use my finger (not spinning totally free, but doesn't appear to bind).

I ran the machine with most everything mentioned above removed and still getting that steady rrrrrrr type of sound. (I did put the part back over the grinder - didn't want that flapping around? but I guess the screen doesn't spin so it doesn't need the support from the top half from that part?).

Is there anything else I can disassemble from inside the machine? That sump has the white post sticking up a couple inches - it looks like it can rotate 90 degrees to unlock?

Or do I have to start moving the machine out and work from the outside?

That large grey sump - are there parts in there to clean or to be causing the sound? or is the pump / impeller the only source of the noise?

What would be the downside of ignoring the sound (well, you can't really ignore something that loud, but just leave things as is?). I am thinking of putting a boot tray / low sided pan under the dishwasher to catch any water that shows up (at this point, there is NO leaking water).

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

have you got down to # 6 and cleaned that out ?

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

I've replaced several of the motors on these dishwashers. There seems to be a problem with water dripping from the sump onto the motor and eventually corroding the bearings. You can access the motor by removing the bottom kick plate. Have yourself a look at it.

#4 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

Santa - I was thrilled when I saw that I can do this without taking the entire dishwasher out of the space! I wanted to remove the part to see that I could do it and make sure there's nothing in the pump / see the bearings. But somehwere I saw that it says to take off the front panel of the door for more room. I undid the screws on the inside of the door but it seems like the front panel is glued? to the insulation in there? Or is there some other screws I am missing? I haev a gap along the top and sides (I also took off the top part of the front of the door / took off the control panel), but something in the middle seems to be holding the front panel on.

Reg - yes, thanks for the picture. much easier talking with pictures! yes, I did get to 6 and cleaned it out - does 6 come out? seems the screen is in a groove in #4. does the shaft pull out?

should I be able to see the motor from the front? with the front door closed (and front panel still on), there's really not much space to see things.

I was ranting at kitchenaid that this is a big expense for a 6 year old machine and soooo many others have this issue. is this a design flaw type of problem?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

#6 comes out after you remove the (whole cover) # 8

#6 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

You can see the motor from under the kick plate. Put a good light on it. You will probably have to pull the dishwasher out enough to tip it back for motor removal. You should be able to do this without unhooking anything if your water line and power cord are long enough. If not it's easy enough to undo those connections. Make sure you remove power to the machine before attempting this repair.

#7 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

Ok! I got the assembly (pump and motor) out - I disconnected 1 drain line , unscrewed the drain pump, unscrewed a nipple / pipe near the front, took out the 3 clips holding the whole thing down and unhooked the motor. took motor off the pump housing. screen inside had some mush but nothing big / hard....

the motor turns smoothly by hand, no grinding / catching on rust, etc... don't see a bearing (does the impeller come off the motor?).

is there a way to put 120 on the motor leads (there's several contacts, so I'll look at the schematic that was in the kick plate, or look for your advice).

put it back together and see if the growling is gone? what else could cause that?

thanks!

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

120v across Blue and Violet.
The Yellow wires are for the Capacitor

#9 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

I'll try the power thurs am. thanks.

Any thoughts on does the impeller come off / should I see a bearing? Is 23 in your drawing the bearing?

Oh, and they used a grease on the gasket around the pump - (#13?). think I should use a grease (and if so, what type) or just wet the gasket, as I saw in a video on the web?

THANKS!

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

KUDP01ILBT0 Parts List & Diagrams

# 23 Motor Shaft Seal

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=903951

00904013.jpg

#11 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:32 AM

reg - are you saying I could just buy that part? I keep thinking I am taking more and more of this apart, that it won't all go back together when I am done with it : )

How do you get to that part?! Does the impeller just come off?

This is the motor sound... does it sound bad to you?

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

reg - are you saying I could just buy that part?
How do you get to that part?! Does the impeller just come off?
This is the motor sound... does it sound bad to you?

1) you can buy that part separately / I'm just answering the question "Is 23 in your drawing the bearing?"
2) look like it does from the Parts List & Diagrams link I posted
3) yes, is there any "play" in the Motor Shaft ?

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

You could, in theory just replace the shaft seal but I think you would be disappointed soon after.

The money you would save by replacing just the shaft seal would be more than lost by the time that will have been wasted when the motor itself fails a short time later. The failure sequence in these units is that shaft seal leaks and takes out the motor bearing. Since the seal has already leaked, the damage is already done. The motor bearing is an integral part of the motor and is not field serviceable.

So that leaves two choices: replace the motor or replace the entire motor-pump assembly.

Professionally, I always replace the entire assembly because 1) it's a more reliable repair and minimizes risk of callbacks from the pump volute itself being affected (and there's no way of knowing that beforehand) and 2) it's the manufacturer-recommended repair.

I've seen several DIYers in these forums replace just the motor. Most were disappointed because, as it turned out, the pump volute was indeed damaged. So they ended up either buying the motor-pump assembly (and kicking themselves for not doing that in the first place) or trashing the dishwasher and buying a new one (and then *really* kicking themselves hard when it, too, crapped out after less than two years).

Your call. :answer:

#14 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

I'll replace the entire thing - spending too much time already - don't want to have to go through this again : )

As I think I mentioned earlier, I have had minimal dealings with hiring someone to do repairs in my home / been lucky with things not breaking. Is this an overly common problem? is having to spend $150 - $200 for the part on a 6 year old machine typical or high / premature failure?

any idea what the labor cost would have been?

I still have to put together the front door - trying to get the front panel off, I took off the control panel at the top of the door but couldn't get the front panel off - is it glued to the insulation?

And in the exhaust vent was white 'stuff' - not so much hard water minerals, I don't think (we have a water softener).

And at the bottom of the sump well, there's dried on 'papery' materials. Is that typical? shouldn't any remains be rinsed away every wash? Any idea what that papery stuff is? It dissolves pretty readily in water.

#15 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

oh, and what do you recommend using on the rubber seal of the pump? there's a yellow type of grease from the old pump on the stainless of the dishwasher already - smear around whatever is left? wipe it off? add more of ____ ?

#16 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Lubricate seals with rinse aid
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#17 babaganoosh

babaganoosh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

Sensei

thanks! would you get all the existing grease off completely / it's not an issue / leave as much as I can?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics