Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire FDB2415LFS0 Worst D/W EVER!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 zimminkie

zimminkie

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:H2O, any occasional brew (I like to explore)

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

HELLO ALL!!

I live in a rented apt. with a Frigidaire Model FDB2415LFS0 dishwasher. It is the absolute worst d/w I have ever encountered in my 30 years of using a dishwasher.

Below is the list of problems:
1. Wash powder continuously solidifies in dispenser despite following manual instructions.
2. Never completely drains.
3. Dishes 80% of time never fully clean despite all attempts (by self and management) to address all possible issues.
4. This apt. has very HARD water. Was told to use Lemi Shine to address hard water buildup...which keeps inside of dishwasher nice and clean... forget the dishes.
5. Time required to clean a normal load...1.5 hours...is this "normal?" I recall previous d/w's taking no more than 45min to 60 min from start to finish.
6. Heat element is cracking. Management won't replace at this time.

Anyone have any simple/cost-effective advice for any of the above...namely problem 1. ? Manual says NOT to use liquid detergent.

Thanks so much,
Alice :wacko:
A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses. -- Chinese Proverb

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

1) what dishwasher powder are you using ?

3) ever since they outlawed phosphate detergent a few months ago ?

5) depends on incoming water temperature and if the DishWasher Heater is working.
6) IS the Heater working ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 zimminkie

zimminkie

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hi...thanks for your super-fast reply. To answer your questions:

1. Currently trying Cascade complete (yes this box is w/o phosphates) last powder I used was a large box of Electrasol which I bought over 6 months ago...didn't state that it did not contain phosphates. (I did pay attention to this since I discovered my non-phosphate laundry powder did not work properly). Anyhow, Electrasol performed just as bad as current Cascade.

3. The poor performance has been consistent since I moved here Nov. 2009...despite the phosphate inclusion in powder or not.

5. I make sure our water heater is set close to max, and always have the water running hot before starting the machine...as said in instruction manual. And the digital dial setting, when pressing "Normal Load" says 96 (minutes). Crazy!!!

6. Yes, heater is still working, hence management's refusal to replace it.

Again, thanks for your help.
:woot:
A bit of fragrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses. -- Chinese Proverb

#4 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

It sounds to me like your whole circulation system is clogged. I would try running a bottle of "Dishwasher Magic" through the machine. That should clean it out if your heater is working.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

Try this test: place a drinking glass in the upper rack, right side up. Start the dishwasher. Listen for the water inflow to stop. As soon as the water supply stops and the washing begins, time one minute and open the door. If the glass isn't well over half full, we have a circulation problem, either gookus clogging the works like Santa said or maybe new circ pump time.

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

But, don't those units oscillate spray arms ? The pump only pauses for upper arm reversal every 5 min or so
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 TRIT0N

TRIT0N

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

either arm will still spray water, i think the issue that needs to be adressed first is the no draining, dirty old water doesn;t wash dishes

#8 zimminkie

zimminkie

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hello All,

Thanks for your advice. I attempted the "test" as described above by Samurai Appliance Repair Man. The result: no problem with water circulation...the glass was almost full. I did notice that the water is a bit soapy/cloudy and I did not perform this test with any powder, etc. There also was no leftover water at the bottom of the washer. However, when I gently lift out the bottom filter/drain assembly there is some standing water left over, even though all parts have been hand cleaned from any gunk and hard water residue.

Should I try the "Dishwasher Magic" as described above?

Thanks again...truly appreciate the help. :thanks:
Alice

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

Yes, if there is still soap residue when running unit empty, you may want to cut back a bit

Click on Poison of choice :

01094374.jpg

http://www.repaircli...Cleaner/1552531

00713580.jpg

http://www.repaircli...Cleaner/1093965

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#10 zimminkie

zimminkie

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Thanks kdog,

Just out of curiosity, do you think CLR cleaner would do the trick? Kind of tight on funds right now. :blush::confused:

#11 themax3000

themax3000

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home-brewed Kombucha

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

I agree with TRITON on confronting the drain issue first. Actually, I would check to be sure that it is getting enough water to start with. Then, put the unit into drain and see if all of the water evacuates. If it does not, there is certainly a drain issue. If it does, you may check to see that sink water is not draining back down into the dishwasher. Then, I would verify that your heating element is coming on. You can check the amp draw on the heater during wash.

Also, what kind of "dirty" are we talking about? Do you see food deposits, or is it more of a milky film?

#12 zimminkie

zimminkie

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Update: Hello everyone,

Just wanted to give an update to this post. It has been a workable solution and must be a temporary one....to put this much effort each time I run the dishwasher. (Putting in powder and simply turning the darn thing on does not work).

Keep in mind this is not my dishwasher, it is the apartment's and getting any help for major things like a/c is like pulling teeth...so for now, and since my last post the following has been working:

1. I use Cascade Complete powder only, and because we have very hard water I fill the cups up until I can barely close the hatch.
2. I use an approximate teaspoon of Lemi Shine powder every time...just toss it in.
3. I run the hot water from the faucet until it's practically steaming, a minute or so, before I turn on the machine...and keep it running for a few seconds more after I push the start button.

This gives me mostly clean dishes. If these steps aren't followed exactly, dishes come out unclean. My partner/room-mate can't for the life of him make this work... so I am the official "dishwasher starter."

Insane. But nevertheless works, for now. Dishwasher dishwashing has definitely lost it's simplicity.

#13 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

Just a note: If you just toss the lemi-shine into the bottom of the dishwasher before starting it will be flushed out before the wash cycle starts. It should be added to the detergent cup. The dishwasher does a fill, rinse, drain cycle and then a fill, wash, drain cycle. The detergent cup opens on the second fill. You might get better results by adding lemi-shine to the detergent cup.

#14 zimminkie

zimminkie

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

It seems to be working as well as it's going to. If I don't use the lemi shine, dishes do not get clean... so it must be working.

I started out by putting it in the detergent cup (didn't clean any better than now). But a couple of times putting lemi shine in with the detergent resulted in a solidification of the entire contents of the detergent cup. I can only guess why.

Now I just sprinkle the lemi shine on the door before I close it. Not much of this makes sense, but at least now I have mostly clean dishes, without hard water stains/deposits.

Thanks for the reply.

Edited by zimminkie, 26 July 2011 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics