Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Removing the inner tub on a Kenmore Series 80

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon Lehman

Brandon Lehman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Okay, this washer may be 100 years old, but probably closer to 20. We recently lost an engagement ring, well not we, but thats a story for another forum. We have had zero luck looking in the other common places, so I am trying to take apart this washer to see what I can find. I finally gave up pounding the spanner nut with a chisel and hammer and bought the wrench, which I would recommend to anyone who has had little luck with the hammer method. Now I am trying to remove the inner tub. This thing is on there tight, I'm seriously beginning to think that there is no way to get this thing off. I'm looking for any tips, any advice in getting this thing to budge. I have soaked it with WD40, however it hasn't been much longer than an hour, so that may work in the end with a little more time. I've also read that you could put the agitator bolt back in and swing down on that with a hammer while pulling the inner tub out, but that seems like it may cause more harm than good. Someone else has mentioned to put the spanner nut back on and pound up with a hammer. I've tried that but I don't seem to be able to get enough contact to do any good.

So I am desperately in need of some guidance. If you have had any experience with this sort of problem, please pass along the knowledge, I will be forever grateful. Thanks...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Push downward firmly and quickly on one side of tub, rotate 1/4 turn and repeat - after you have jerked the tub a few different ways it usually will break free. Don't be afraid to get your weight into it
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 LLAMBERT

LLAMBERT

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Stone Ruination IPA

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

Ok try this a your own risk, stand in the tub and alternate you weight from foot to foot.
Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

Instead of putting the spanner nut back on and trying to hammer up on it, put it back on just flush with the top of the drive block.

Put the handle end of the spanner wrench on top of the spanner nut and drive block and give the other end of the spanner wrench handle a couple good wacks down, hard. This will usually free the tub from the drive block.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Southern Appliance

Southern Appliance

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

Good Call Willie.
That always works for me.

#6 Brandon Lehman

Brandon Lehman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I will try the spanner nut trick and report back.

#7 Brandon Lehman

Brandon Lehman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

The hammer to the wrench on the spanner nut worked like a charm. Did't find what I was looking for though. I guess all of the work was worth getting all of the gunk out of the inner tub. Thanks for the help guys.

#8 freespeech

freespeech

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Oatmeal cream stout

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:21 PM

Did you look in the pump inlet?
E. Spayd
Co-owner All Area Appliance Repair Service
http://www.allareaservco.com

#9 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Brandon, Have you taken your dryer apart to look for your ring? I've found all kinds of goodies inside dryers. Coins, hairpins, necklace chains etc. Last week I found $2.50 in change, 2 ink pens and a metal spoon in the same dryer, between the lint screen and the blower. Thats right I said a spoon. An 8 inch long steel tablespoon. Those wacky characters at the assisted living facility are always leaving things in their pockets.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Tips for removing the inner tub on a Kenmore Series 80 direct drive washer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 03 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

Instead of putting the spanner nut back on and trying to hammer up on it, put it back on just flush with the top of the drive block.

Put the handle end of the spanner wrench on top of the spanner nut and drive block...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics