Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG refrigerator error code ER-DH

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

I have a LG side by side refrigerator LSC29931ST I have an error code DH failed defrosting. I have the service manual which I think is junk, very poor trouble shooting section. Found evaporator iced up. thawed evaporator and applied heat to defrost sensor, did not see much of a change in Resistance values per the service manual.The refrigerator ran for one week before my refrigerator coded same msg.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,033 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

If your heater showed continuity and you did not see any change in sensor, Change sensor. They are quite inexpensive. Good way to test sensor is place in a cup of ice water (mostly ice as you want 32 degrees), leave it in water for 5 minutes...you should get 16k ohms +-5%.
Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,953 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:21 AM

Good way to test sensor is place in a cup of ice water (mostly ice as you want 32 degrees), leave it in water for 5 minutes...you should get 16k ohms +-5%.

Nice tip, DA. :dude:

#4 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

thanks for your reply. checked resistance of defrost sensor, and freezer sensor both check good.checked resistance of defrost heater per LG service manual connector 3 on PCB pins 3 & 7 with connector removed from pcb defrost heater reads open. performed test per service manual pushing test button twice to turn on defrost heater. 120vac at pins 3&7 with connector 3 hooked back up to pcb. freezer was full of food, so could not check and see if defrost heater was heating. how hot does the heater get? wiring diagram shows in-line fuse. if fuse is open, can you change the fuse by it self? or is the fuse built into heater?

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,033 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

freezer was full of food, so could not check and see if defrost heater was heating. how hot does the heater get? wiring diagram shows in-line fuse. if fuse is open, can you change the fuse by it self? or is the fuse built into heater?

Heater will glow red when it is on but come on, you received an error code indicating defrost failure, and you gonna test pins and look at some diagram but not have evap exposed to do visual inspections? What, you want us to do all the work? Remove the food and look at your evap, heater and fuse. You will be able to answer quite a few of the questions on your own with a visual inspection and testing heater, fuse for continuity. I know, I know, removing frozen food from a freezer is hard, nasty, back-breaking and sweaty work, but someone has to do it.

You probably ddn't want to hear this and it is useless to cover your ears but your action was unfunky it was devoid of the funk, so to refunktify you, to encourage you for the future, we gonna have to hit you with the gun of funkativity, the gun of enlightenment, that's right, we gonna have to hit you with "it." With the weapon crafted by the great immortal funk master himself, Master George Clinton. We gonna have to hit you with
the Bop Gun!..Posted Image

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 03 March 2011 - 11:19 AM.

Appliantology is, however appliances are not, an exact science for I know there are a few refrigerators that actually hate me.

The simplest explanation is most likely the correct and least expensive one, unless it's your compressor or motherboard" Occam as an appliantologist

"When you have eliminated all the impossible, whatever remains, however implausible, must be the logic truth; unless it's your compressor or motherboard." Mr. Spock as an appliantologist

"I think, therefore I have no earthly idea why this thing is not working...I got nothin'...". Rumored to have been uttered by a frustrated Descartes while diagnosing his GE Profile.

#6 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

Removing all the food from the freezer has one benefit. It's the perfect time for people to do a visual inventory and get rid of old food thats taking up space. Its also about the only time a freezer or frig gets cleaned. I like to watch people empty their freezers and discover things they forgot were there. OH MY! this container says "Blueberries-2006".

#7 skoobahead

skoobahead

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Ok removed all food from freezer to get access to heater. Heater will only come on when the main PCB test switched is pressed twice. heater reached a temperature of 127 degrees F. PCB shuts off power to heater. Defrost sensor check good, heater checks good. PCB???

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

Defrost termination is controlled a little different in these units, has a thermister and fuse in the "control" harness that attaches to the evaporator - if the sensor is failing it could throw a wrench in the wheel

http://www.repaircli...Harness/1462588

01074822.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics