Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Frigidaire Window Airconditioner Unit - Inop

Toranaga

Guys, I need some advice. Got one of those "buddy" jobs and don't quite know where to start. My friend has a heating and cooling window unit bought from Lowe's last November. I am guessing it is the model number listed above, or very similar, I have not sen the machine yet and he has no paperwork. (its in a rental unit). Anyway, the unit is completely dead, no heat, no cool, no lights. I suspect and electrical problem and will approach it from that direction as I don't do CFC work. Here's my train of thought

1. Check the breakers, fuses and outlet.

2. Check the power cord and terminal for VAC

3. Check the PCB for signs of a blow up.

4. swithches/ touchpad etc.

5. ???

I understand how compressors work, but I'm not qualified to replace one.

Any advice?

Normally wouldn't take this job, but its for a real friend - the kind that helps you hide the body.

T.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Reg, Wiring diagram is pretty simple. How does the overload relay work? If it trips, can it reset?

T.

How does the overload relay work?

looks like a standard Compressor overload . . (automatic)

but would only control the Compressor

Well then barring any house wiring problems, I'm likely looking at a bad board, huh?

Well then barring any house wiring problems,

Pretty common issue with portable A/C units, they're a big power draw - have them try another outlet that is known good before you head out

Most of those units have a reset on the power cord....pretty common for the to go bad....have changed a tone of them....verify voltage at the power board.

Most of those units have a reset on the power cord....pretty common for the to go bad....have changed a tone of them....verify voltage at the power board.

Will do, thanks!

Cords good. Outlets good. Correct model number is LRA12HZT2. How much voltage at the touch panel? I get 120 at RY4, P9, and RY6/4. Nothing at RY7/3 which leads to the compressor. No activity at the display board. What next?

Ok. The on off button is on a pcb. I get continuity when I press the button. But it shuts off when I release ot. Shouldn't it stay on till I press it again?

I get 120 at RY4, P9, and RY6/4.

Should have 120 at RY6-4(hot) and P8(neutral), if you have that and no activity, you have a failed PCB - compressor failure does not affect fans/display eyc.

Summary:

The main board gets voltage 120 VAC. The Display board gets about 7 VAC through a ribbon. But does not respond to user input. I see no evidence of any bad solder joints or burns on the display board at all. I could use a little help. Thanks. One more wierd thing I noticed. Although the cord delivers power tot he unit, the "test" button doesn't seem to have any effect. i press it and the unit still gets power. Hit reset and nothing changes.

T.

The main board gets voltage 120 VAC.

Thats the only job of the powercord, whether the GFCI part is functional or not - you need to be sure the voltage is measured at those pins (R6-4 and P8), if it is there, it means that something is not switching within the PCB and it is likely FUBAR

Thanks Kdog. That's about what I thought. I was torn up about the fact that there is some voltage getting to the smaller display board - about 7.2 VAC. I'm gonna recommend replacing the cord too, just for safety, I guess.

New twist. The label calls for 230 volts but there is

only 120 at the outlet. Checked breakers. All good.

only 120 at the outlet.

Yes, the document that Reg posted shows unit is 230v, needs to be a double breaker - shut them both off and on again as one side may be tripped

Right. Put the meter on every breaker. 120 on all. 120 at the wall. 120 at the board 240 NOWHERE. What am I missing?

One breaker has to come from the RED side of the box and the other from the BLACK side to get the 240

240 NOWHERE.

Try and reset the Main (100 A) breaker - that should affect mant other items in the home though if it were tripped

No red side. Two blacks. Old house. All breakers have power. DANG! Even the plugs only wired for 120!

has this A/C worked at this location up till now ?

Is this a standard 240v Wall Outlet ?

post picture of Wall Outlet and test points ?

I have been called out to New dryers in older homes that don't work to find out they only have a 60A service that cannot support a double 240v breaker, oddly enough they were always replacing old gas dryers

Archived