Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn Air Recall relay

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Skip H

Skip H

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam Adams

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Jenn Air model JCD2389GES. I have an older unit. bought in 2002. This weekend I moved the fridge to clean behind it and after that the unit wouldn't auto defrost anymore. I read the forum advice and got the unit forced into defrost cycle by doing the on/off 3 times trick. Reading the forum I also realized that the unit is part of the compressor relay recall. Called Maytag/Jenn Air and they are sending a guy out to replace the compressor relay under the national recall campaign. QUESTION: Must I replace that relay? Some postings indicate that the new relay causes the compressor to fail. But I guess that's better than the house burning down. SECOND QUESTION: Do I replace the Adaptive Defrost Control Board before or after the compressor relay is replaced? The ADC is defective, I guess, which is why it stopped going into defrost mode. THIRD QUESTION: how do I test the themostat that controls the damper door between the freezer and the beer compartment? It never has worked corrrectly and the beer on the top shelf would freeze.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,027 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:16 PM

Yes, replace the relay, the new one does not cause your compressor to go bad.

How do you know the ADC is bad? Is the evaporator coil clogged?

The damper testing procedure I will have to try and find...can't quite remember, I think its primative like holding an ice cube to the capillary @ the damper.

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 Skip H

Skip H

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam Adams

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

After I moved the fridge out to clean behind it, it sat out away from the wall, but plugged in, for a couple of hours while we mopped etc. the fridge part started to warm up. The coils had frozen and the defrost heating element wasn't coming on. put ohm meter on heating element and it tested ok. tried to jumper the ADC board between L1 and "test" and nothing happened. Then tried the trick of cutting the unit on and off three times within 6 seconds and the fans stopped and the heating defrost element kicked in and defrosted the freezer. I left it out from the wall for about a day and a half and watched the coils and they ddin't really freeze up just stayed frosted. Pushed the unit back into place and the coils froze up again. Did the on off trick again and the fans stopped and the heater heated up and defrosted the unit. Am I missing something? Seems like it is the defroster that is working ok but that it isn't being turned on properly. So I figured it must be the adaptive control thing. But why does moving the unit seem to trigger the problem?? Thanks tons.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

If you have the "newer" ADC Board that works by cycling the temperature, then your ADC board won't have a TEST pin.
It would normally take a few weeks for the Evaporator to completely air-clog to not allow Fridge cooling,
unless, now, after moving, may have a Door Gasket problem, letting moist air into the Fridge / Freezer.

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics