Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Defrost Timer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dst

dst

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

This question is going to seem a bit odd to some. I have an older Whirlpool refrigerator/top freezer (model ET18NKSN02) that I am going to convert in toa temperature controlled cabinet for ale fermentation andsausage curing. The temperature will be controlled not by the units internal controls but bt a seperate inline controller. Vents will be cut into the compartment separator, and a couple of small computer fans will be added to increase air flow throughout the entire unit. The temperature will never be set below 55degrees, usually 65 degrees. While researching this conversion I find abundant information, and many of these recommend disabling the defrost system of the unit..Since the area in my basement where it will be located seldom gets warmer than 75 degrees and the fact that the chamber will seldom be opened more than 1 time a day combined with the fact that it will contain between 10 and 15 gallons of liquid at any given time,I assume that the compressor will run infrequently and not for a long period of time I don't think icing up will be much of an issue. My question is what is the best way to disable the defrost system? I assume that this would best be done by some how disabling the defrost cycle timer ( an older mechanical type with black wire entering and 2 blue wires exiting) while allowing the unit to remain always in the cooling mode. That"s the the information I'm seeking. A I feel guilty asking in a forum where people are seeking answers to real appliance problems(believe me, after the sessions of laying on the floor by the refrigerator ,dishwasher, and oven replacing components I sympathize with you.) Any advice would sure be appreciated .Thanks for your time.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:10 PM

ET18NKSN02

can you check that model number again ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 dst

dst

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

ET18NKXSN02---Sorry about that..Proofread original post 2 times and still missed that error.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

You could disconnect the Red wire from the Defrost Timer
(when it's not already in the Defrost Cycle)

OR remove the Defrost Timer and jumper Black to Orange

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics