Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Admiral/Maytag LNC6760B71 Unbalanced during spin

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne02

Wayne02

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

I have an Admiral/Maytag LNC6760B71 that is severely unbalanced during the spin cycles. All other cycles seem to work fine.

This machine has violent loud banging frequently during the spin cycles, and I mean really violent, it sure sounds to me like the tub is hammering the cabinet. If it were not for the dryer next to it this washer would end up on the other side of the garage at the end of each use. This condition has been present for some time now and we have tried to compensate with much smaller loads thinking we were overloading it, or loading an unbalanced load, but it is getting so that it exhibits this behavior on just about every load.

When unloaded I can push the tub deep into all four corners of the cabinet and the tub will not attempt to return to center save for one direction where it very weakly makes a bit of a move back towards center.

Reading through previous threads on this problem I see reference to snubber rings, springs, or possible base kit. I fear this machine may need the base kit that has been referred to, is there something else I can do to confirm this, remove a panel and have a look see at something?

Thanks
Wayne

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

We'll dust off some archives for ya: http://appliantology...7050#entry17050
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

If it is needed, there is a kit that comes with a new base, snubber and heavy duty springs. Part #12002701

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:20 PM

If it is needed, there is a kit that comes with a new base, snubber and heavy duty springs. Part #12002701

http://www.repaircli...e-Plate/1164331

00919636.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Wayne02

Wayne02

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.

kdog, the archive link didn't work for some reason.

If it turns out the machine needs the base kit I would likely just buy a new machine.

What I would like to do is diagnose the problem and determine if it just needs the snubber or if it needs the base kit. And I would like to be able to diagnose the problem without having to disconnect and move the machine from the wall and then disassemble it. The reason for that is I really need to leave the machine in service until the parts arrive or we buy a new machine.

Is it possible to definitively diagnose the problem with the machine in place? I can unplug it of course but would prefer to not have to unhook the water hoses and pull the machine out of its hole. Maybe the top can be pulled off and an inspection camera used to inspect the base and the snubber?

How does the base fail? Are the springs attached to the base and they tear the mount out? If so, I might be able to weld in some patch panels at the mount locations.

Thanks

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

kdog, the archive link didn't work for some reason.

Really? Works for me - try again http://appliantology...7050#entry17050

Fill the unit up with water and clothes and allow it to agitate - open lid and push tub to a corner and see if it brings itself back anywhere near centre again after it runs a bit - if not, chances are good you'll need the base/springs kit

#7 Wayne02

Wayne02

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

Really? Works for me - try again http://appliantology...7050#entry17050

Thanks. I get the following message,

[#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in.

Fill the unit up with water and clothes and allow it to agitate - open lid and push tub to a corner and see if it brings itself back anywhere near centre again after it runs a bit - if not, chances are good you'll need the base/springs kit

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,823 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

The link works for me, too. Anyway, here's the pertinent info from that other topic:

Crosley Washer Mod# CW6000 W

If load is even a little out of balance inner tub assembly beats machine to death and machine starts to walk out of laundry room.

Can see marks, (shiny metel showing through paint), all around lower support base where tub has continually went to full extent of movement to all sides.

An obvious snubber problem......... Have an identical machine right next to the one with a problem, it's working like it should.

The one that works has a powdery substance around snubber area, (I believe maybe cornstarch -- I think I remember reading here somewhere that you put cornstarch on these snubber rings).

The one that has a problem, the stuff that use to be powerdry is now just kind of gritty like it got water in it so it's not a powder anymore and not very much left. (Checked for leaks, non found but see signs of large water splashes on top of motor and bearing/seal area all ok.)

This is the snubber ring this unit uses: 21002026 Posted Image

Can anyone tell me, what is used to mount this snubber ring? (any kind of glue or something?)

And if I do need to put cornstarch or something else on it after installation?

And any hints as to easy way to remove springs without having to remove complete cabinet, (I don't have the spring expander tool and don't work on enough of these to make it worth purchasing just for this one job).

Thanks guys for any help you can give me.

#9 Wayne02

Wayne02

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

Ok, I just did this while observing an entire agitate cycle and most of the spin cycle with a load of clothes. Pushed the tub into each of the four corners, restarted and observed for some time. For some reason the lid lockout doesn't work on the agitate cycle, only on the spin cycle, but maybe they are all that way. Anyway, after letting it run for awhile each time it was evident that the tub was not making any effort to re-center from any of the four corners.

When the spin cycle started the tub was already in one of the corners from the previous agitate cycle and the spin cycle started out unbalanced. I could see the front of the cabinet at the top bulging out each time the tub would make impact. I stopped the machine, manually re-centered the tub, moved a couple of clothes around just a bit and re-started the spin. This time it spun up and was not hitting the cabinet. After this, when I would open the lid it still looked like it was wobbling around more than it should, but it was not banging the cabinet.

So I guess it needs the base kit or the machine needs replaced?

One other question. We have never been particularly happy with this machine as it seems to be hard on clothes. In particular my jeans get torn across the top of the rear pockets. At first I thought it was just my brand of jeans (carhartt), but between my son and I we have several different brands of jeans these days and all of them seem to pre-maturely fail/tear in the same spot. Is it possible this unbalanced condition is adding to this problem, or is there some types of agitate actions that are harder on clothes than others?

Thanks

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Frontload machines tend to be gentler on fabrics, I was taught at a yound age to turn BlueJeans inside out for washing, and I HangDry them outdoors on a clothesLine whenever possible (When it's not minus 20's) - have lots of jeans more than 5 yrs old still in very good condition

#11 Wayne02

Wayne02

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

Yes that makes sense, we will try turning the jeans inside out, I suspect that will help with the back pockets tearing. Doubt we can swing a front loader at this time, probably just have to replace the old machine with another top loader.

#12 Wayne02

Wayne02

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Looking at the picture of the base I see the 6 locations where I assume the 6 springs hook into. What exactly fails that requires a whole new base pan?

#13 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

The dome in the base flexes outward

#14 Wayne02

Wayne02

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Ok thanks. I took the front panel off to have a look. Sure doesn't look/feel like there is near enough tension on those springs.

Are the replacement springs (either in the base kit or in the 6 pc spring kit) shorter to provide more tension?

I notice this document says to use corn meal between the base and the snubber. Is this to promote friction, reduce friction, or guard against any undo wear to the snubber?
http://dl.dropbox.co...basket lean.pdf

Thanks

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics