Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Arctica Door Water Dispenser Won't Turn Off

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jdabkowski

jdabkowski

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ninkasi IPA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

I have a GE Profile Arctica, Model No. PSC23SGMD BS that when after filling a glass of water from the dispenser on the door, the dispenser keeps outputting water for 3-4 seconds then stops. Is the part that controls that function in the door or behind the refrigerator?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

Have you changed the filter recently?

#3 jdabkowski

jdabkowski

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

Today. Along with the filter bracket and tubing that extends down the back of the refrigerator to a switch assembly (which I'm looking for a name for...).

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:05 PM

Does it come out with full force ,as when you depress the switch or lever; Or - is it more like a "dribble" ?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 jdabkowski

jdabkowski

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

It comes out full force when I depress the lever, then continues at full force for 3-4 seconds after I let go of the lever.

Where can I find a parts diagram for this model?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

Was it doing the run-on problem before you replaced the filter?

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

For manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 jdabkowski

jdabkowski

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

Yes, it was doing it sometimes and sometimes not before I changed the filter. Now it appears to be consistently doing it.

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:59 AM

Probably got air in the water line. Try running a bunch of water thru the dispenser, several minutes worth.

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,725 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

If water purging does not work, look to the spring mechanism connected to the water dispenser button. When you press the button it engages a microswitch that energizes the water valve. Upon release, the microswitch disengages valve. Sometimes button can get gunky or the microswitch becomes lethargic. If all of this fails, then you may be in the market for a new water valve. I doubt it is the latter since the leaking stops after a short period. However, you want to keep an eye on this. A water valve can lose resistance and even without the dispenser button being depressed,....well let's just say your fridge will look like it is relieving itself all over your expensive wooden floors. Sort of like me last night after "several" brews (sans expensive floors) in celebration of Carolina's victory over Duke. Go Heels!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 March 2011 - 10:34 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#11 jdabkowski

jdabkowski

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

I certainly support your enthusiasm of ANYONE beating Duke! How do I get access to the spring to clean it? I'll try pumping a bunch of water through it too first. Thanks (and go UCONN!)

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,177 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

... the microswitch disengages valve. Sometimes button can get gunky or the microswitch becomes lethargic.

Egzellent pernt on the microswitch, Durham-- I had forgotten about that little trick. :thumbsup:

#13 jdabkowski

jdabkowski

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

I pumped a bunch of water through it, but it didn't get any better. How do I get at that button/spring?

#14 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,725 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have had to purge several gallons to stop a leak. With regards to accessing dispenser check out http://appliantology..._1#entry187378. Better yet, become an apprentice, save $$ and get a service manual

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics