Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

jdabkowski

GE Profile Arctica Door Water Dispenser Won't Turn Off

14 posts in this topic

I have a GE Profile Arctica, Model No. PSC23SGMD BS that when after filling a glass of water from the dispenser on the door, the dispenser keeps outputting water for 3-4 seconds then stops. Is the part that controls that function in the door or behind the refrigerator?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Have you changed the filter recently?

Today. Along with the filter bracket and tubing that extends down the back of the refrigerator to a switch assembly (which I'm looking for a name for...).

Does it come out with full force ,as when you depress the switch or lever; Or - is it more like a "dribble" ?

It comes out full force when I depress the lever, then continues at full force for 3-4 seconds after I let go of the lever.

Where can I find a parts diagram for this model?

Was it doing the run-on problem before you replaced the filter?

Yes, it was doing it sometimes and sometimes not before I changed the filter. Now it appears to be consistently doing it.

Probably got air in the water line. Try running a bunch of water thru the dispenser, several minutes worth.

If water purging does not work, look to the spring mechanism connected to the water dispenser button. When you press the button it engages a microswitch that energizes the water valve. Upon release, the microswitch disengages valve. Sometimes button can get gunky or the microswitch becomes lethargic. If all of this fails, then you may be in the market for a new water valve. I doubt it is the latter since the leaking stops after a short period. However, you want to keep an eye on this. A water valve can lose resistance and even without the dispenser button being depressed,....well let's just say your fridge will look like it is relieving itself all over your expensive wooden floors. Sort of like me last night after "several" brews (sans expensive floors) in celebration of Carolina's victory over Duke. Go Heels!

Edited by DurhamAppliance

I certainly support your enthusiasm of ANYONE beating Duke! How do I get access to the spring to clean it? I'll try pumping a bunch of water through it too first. Thanks (and go UCONN!)

... the microswitch disengages valve. Sometimes button can get gunky or the microswitch becomes lethargic.

Egzellent pernt on the microswitch, Durham-- I had forgotten about that little trick. :thumbsup:

I pumped a bunch of water through it, but it didn't get any better. How do I get at that button/spring?

I have had to purge several gallons to stop a leak. With regards to accessing dispenser check out Better yet, become an apprentice, save $$ and get a service manual