Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Who Made my Kenmore?

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

• Team Samurai

50431351_f77d4d956c_m.jpg

Magical Kenmore Model Number Decoder

Awwite now, Bubba, one thang you gotsta under-freakin'-stand is that Kenmore ain't no manufacturer of appliances. Nawsir, "Kenmore" represents nothin' more than a bunch of bureaucrats at Sears who sit around and write specifications of and haggle over the price for someone else to make their stuff for them. Period. There ain't no "Kenmore" factory somewhere in Malaysia or anywhere else.

So, who makes Kenmore stuff? Well, lots o' folks. You can tell by looking at the three digit number to the left of the decimal point in the model number. Did I slide that'n by y'too fast, Slick? Read it again: the three digit (that means individual numerals) number (that means sequence of digits) the left of (that means not to the right of) the complete model number (which is a big ol' hairly long ace number).

Still confoosed, Grasshopper? Let's take a ezzample. S'pose I gotsa Kenmore refrigerator (or "refirgerator" for the keyboard impaired) with a model number of 363.58097890 and I need to know who actually made that fridge. Well, using Figure 1, above, I look up the "363" portion of the model number and, lo, GE done made that fridge! It's just like FM (freakin' magic), ain't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sister-moonshine

Samurai Of Greatness,

No disrespect intended.... just wanted to include Frigidaire in your Kenmore list. 

417 = laundry

587 = dishwasher

628 = cooking

253 = refrigeration

I think that's all the industries....

With great respect I submit :notworthy:

• Team Samurai

That's sweet, an' all, but they're already listed. You can probably see it better if you click the picture for the larger view.

And here's an even better and more detailed list, in numerical order so much easier to find what your looking for.

CLICK HERE to see

• 1 month later...

i did ask about this before but it may be worth repeating here ...

if memory serves, all but the last 5 digits of a VIN are codes for lots of information

can the numbers on kenmore appliance tags (incl but not ltd to model & serial) be completely decoded?

what does the model number indicate besides the mfrs prefix?

does the entire serial number identify the unit its attached to or only part of it? if part, which part & what do the remaining digits indicate?

is or will there be code evidencing energy star compliance?

Model number - AFAIK, no significant info other than manufacturer.

Serial number - varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but will normally indicate age and plant of manufacture. Example:

Kenmore washer, Whirlpool-built with serial number CD 1234567

C - Manufactured in Clyde, OH

D - 1994

12 - week 12 of that year

34567 - 34, 567th to roll off the line that week.

Any of the current Sears people on here should be able to expand on the list (it was in the Process Manual...if it still exists).

you da man!

mind breakin this down?

Kenmore (GE) b/i dw

m# 363.15179000

s# F2338266R

inherited this one (sans papers)

anyone happening to know this models specs/features, etc & cares to share would also REALLY be appreciated

THANKS & HAPPY HOLIDAYS

The Sears film card has a date of 4-28-1986 for the date the card came out, this might not be close to when the range was made however...

Micro fishe, the film cards we buy from the people who make appliances and insert into a viewer to read them, much like you can read old newspapers in a library when they are stored on film, however these 4X6 film cards.  Look up breakdowns and part numbers, they are going the way of the gas guzzlers since most of the information is available on line or on CD's now for the newer stuff, however the older stuff can only be found on the old film cards.  Your range breakdown is available still on the Sears site but it did not give any date when it was put in their data base online.

here are kenmore 3 digit mfg codes|

100 roper,101 roper,103 roper,106 whlp, 110 whlp, 119 athens range,123  thermador,126 absocold,154 whlp range ,whlp=whirlpool by the way,155 preway,159 loth stove,174 caloric,196 brown stove,198 whlp freezer,253 gibson,267 knox stove,362 ge range,363 ge ref and dishw,417 frif stack w/d,562 whlp range,587 d&m dishwasher,596 amana,628 kel,647 roper,665 whlpcompactors and dishwashers,747 litton m/ws,769 addison,790 frig range,791 frig range,850 chambers,911 roper,960 caloric.   now gimme a beer man lol!:D

I have a kenmore model number 63016303400 and lost the manual. I'm trying to find it on line but so far no luck. Who makes this? I don't see 630 on your chart. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Sears Canada uses two different numbers to describe Kenmore appliances.  For example the Kenmore Dishwasher listed on sears.ca as "223 616 052" is actually model number "665.16052402" which according to this thread is a Whirlpool, and based on a recent recon, it appears to be a Kitchen Aid variety of Whirlpool becuase the Turbo-Zone feature only appears on Kitchen-Aids.

So, you ask, where can you cross reference the 223 number to the 665 number?  The only place I could find the 665 number was inside the door of the actual unit.  So looks like you will need to go back to the Sears show room.  The US Sears website lists the same model as "Sears item #02216052000 Mfr. model #16052" so that is no big help either.

One other thing.  Effective now Sears is reducing the warranty period on all non-premium appliance brands to ONE-YEAR.  Jenn-Air and Kitchen-Aid are not affected, but Maytag and Whirlpool are (for example).

One of our customers bought a new KA dishwasher from Lowes last week and they told her flat out it only had a 1 year warranty total so not sure what is going on.

I have 2 Kenmore items I am trying to find out what year they were made. 1st is a model 110 gas dryer serial #MJ3120492. 2nd is a model 110 washer serial #C83608527. Please help :o)

Archived