Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Who Made my Kenmore?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Busch

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:35 AM

$350 or $400 or more depending on the BTU or gas type
"May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty"
-old Irish saying

Buy me a Beer: http://web.me.com/ze...man18007260692/

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#62 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:37 AM

one more thing... these heaters cant be converted from one gas to another without it costing plenty so if you are buying a heater like this you need to know exactly which gas you are gonna have and make sure the heater is compatible.
-old Irish saying

#63 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:46 AM

Thanks again, that's a good thing to know and keep in mind!!!!
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#64 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:16 AM

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

This heater is unvented and uses the ODS, (oxygen depletion system), pilot. Only needs a gas line to hookup and operate.

Three postion gas valve, Off/Lo/Hi, 0/15000/30000btu - No t-stat.

What does ODS mean?
An unvented gas heater will consume oxygen and give out its exhaused gas in that room.
Don't think that it is safe/legal to use unvented gas heater in an "air-tighted" and well-insulated house in US and Canada!?
The Seven

#65 Dan Webster

Dan Webster

Paw Paw

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

ODS means( oxygen depletion system) when oxygen is thin in the room the ods reduces the pilot flame and the safety magnet cuts off the gas and the heater is turned off, this keeps ya from dying from no oxygen. now , how well does it work? some say its ok others have doubts . my opinion this is a fine heater

-old Irish saying

#66 The Seven

The Seven

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

[user=4554]applianceman18007260692[/user] wrote:

ODS means( oxygen depletion system) when oxygen is thin in the room the ods reduces the pilot flame and the safety magnet cuts off the gas and the heater is turned off, this keeps ya from dying from no oxygen. now , how well does it work? some say its ok others have doubts . my opinion this is a fine heater

Thanks for the explanation.

It still gives out combustion exhausted air which is mainly composed of carbon dioxide. If the combustion is poor, carbon monoxide will be generated and this is extremely dangerous. I think that it is not recommended to use unvented heaters in houses at all in Canada.
The Seven

#67 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

It isn't recommended to use un-vented fuel-burning heaters back here in northern Europe either, no matter what fuel... houses are quite tight. But, the ODS should shut the heater down before O2 will be depleted so that CO will form. If it is a catalytic heater, it should produce mainly CO2 on quite low oxygen. Some NOx of intake air will be used in the process too.

Don't remember where I read this, but some fire extinguishing gas mixture was designed to lower the O2 content of air down to some 11%... barely enough for human life for a short while, but non-catalyzed burning of most carbon compounds would require 16%... correct me if you find correct percentages somewhere.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#68 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

[user=7]The Seven[/user] wrote:

[user=36]Budget Appliance Repair[/user] wrote:

This heater is unvented and uses the ODS, (oxygen depletion system), pilot. Only needs a gas line to hookup and operate.

Three postion gas valve, Off/Lo/Hi, 0/15000/30000btu - No t-stat.

What does ODS mean?
An unvented gas heater will consume oxygen and give out its exhaused gas in that room.
Don't think that it is safe/legal to use unvented gas heater in an "air-tighted" and well-insulated house in US and Canada!?

You could be very well correct on it not being legal to sale an unvented gas heater in some states in the US, (California , being one of them -- Johnstone Supply Co. has some unvented gas heaters listed in their book and it says:

"Suitability for installation in your area should be verified with the local code authority. These products are not approved for use or sale in all or part of the following states: Alaska, California, Colorado, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New York and Utah.")
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#69 The Home Smithy

The Home Smithy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

[user=10234]Keinokuorma[/user] wrote:

Don't remember where I read this, but some fire extinguishing gas mixture was designed to lower the O2 content of air down to some 11%... barely enough for human life for a short while, but non-catalyzed burning of most carbon compounds would require 16%... correct me if you find correct percentages somewhere.

(Bows deeply) Please pardon my intrusion, Great Masters. I believe I may be able to offer some small bit of enlightenment on this subject.

These are the halon extinguishers. Humans can survive in a halon atmosphere long enough to exit a building, but not much more. They were initially designed as a stop gap type system to be installed in older movie, and theater houses, with inadiquate exits to bring them up to modern day building, and safety codes. Fortunatly they were never approved for that reason. They are however installed in many museums, art galleries, libraries, and other buildings that house important documents. Were it not for the halon systems the documents would be destroyed by the water, or even the Co2 units in use prior to halon.

Hope this helps.

Humbly offered to those who would accept my paltry tidbits of wisdom.

Apprentice"Smitty" (bows deeply)

A child learns from its parents. A youth learns from his teachers. An adult learns from his elders. An elder learns by teaching.

Respect is earned, never given.

#70 Keinokuorma

Keinokuorma

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

Information humbly accepted.

That's just what I tried to remember.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)

#71 Maggie

Maggie

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:44 AM

I no longer (unfortunately) have my old Kenmore appliances, so I have no number to go by. 

It is time to yet again replace a Kenmore appliance (washing machine, not quite 6 years old...fridge is already in a landfill somewhere--didn't make it to 6 years)

Does anybody by chance know who built their appliances prior to say, oh about 1986 (when they were still good)?  I know that Kelvinator used to manufacture their refrigerators, but my knowledge ends there.

Any help would be appreciated.

#72 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:on the house...

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

[user=71311]Maggie61[/user] wrote:

It is time to yet again replace a Kenmore appliance (washing machine)

Does anybody by chance know who built their appliances prior to say, oh about 1986 (when they were still good)?  I know that Kelvinator used to manufacture their refrigerators, but my knowledge ends there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Good chance the washing machine was Whirlpool. Washing machines were the beginning of the Sears/Whirlpool courtship way back when...

(There's trouble in Paradise these days)

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#73 Maggie

Maggie

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for your reply.  Whirlpool...oh geez.  Trouble in paradise is right!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics