Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Dishwasher Stuck on Rinse, Please Help Tried Everything

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Squeeky4711

Squeeky4711

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Homebrew

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

We are having issues with our Whirlpool dishwasher, in which is gets stuck during the beginning of the rinse cycle. It will complete the rinse only cycle, but when doing any wash cycle is gets stuck just after entering the rinse cycle.

This has always happened since we purchased our home. While it was under warranty we had a repair service come to the house. They replaced the timer and left. When this did not resolve the issue, they came out again and did just the same. Since then we have been manually advancing the timer to complete the cycle.

After reading this forum I assumed it had to be the hi-limit thermostat, granted I just assumed and purchased the replacement thermostat and replaced. Only to find this did not fix the issue. Got out a multimeter and determining 1 ohm resistance (working). I then checked the resistance of the heating element which reads 16 ohms.

I then ran the dishwasher till it got stuck, opening the door, using a turkey baster pulled out the sitting water and read a temp of 107 degrees. Looking at the manual it states during normal wash the rinse cycle should be 140 degrees.

What else should I attempt before giving up on this dishwasher? Since element reads between 10-30, thermostat is working correctly, timer has been replaced.

Thank you in advance,
Chris "Squeeky" Ritchie

Just ran the hot water on the faucet closest to the dishwasher, it was 115 degrees. The dishwasher manual suggest 120 degrees for best washing. I would assume 5 degree difference would not cause this issue.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

Thermostats:/ there's (2)
one in the Heater circuit = Hi-Limit Thermostat
the other Thermostat delays the Timer (till the water is hot ? )
did you test / replace the right one ?

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 Squeeky4711

Squeeky4711

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

Wow maybe your on to something, happen to know where this other thermostat is located? Also is it normally open or closed? So that I can test with multimeter?

I would also like to thank you for replying so quickly, I posted the same question on another forum over a week a ago with no responses.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hi-Limit Tub Thermostat # 18 Normally Closed

Posted Image

Cycling Thermostat # 37 Normally Closed

Posted Image

#5 Squeeky4711

Squeeky4711

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

Thank you!

I plan on ordering the part once I determine if I can do it myself. In attempting to understand the diagram it seems I will need to remove the pump, as well as replace gasket and purchase the centering tool. Or is there a way to access the thermostat without doing all this?

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

sorry, I don't know on that model
(maybe someone else knows)

Questions:
Does the built-in Heater heat the water ?
Do the dishes "heat dry" ?

#7 Squeeky4711

Squeeky4711

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Yes everything seems to function 100%, however when it first enters the rinse cycle is gets stuck. I do not have to advance to the next cycle, just move the timer a little. I can feel some resistance at that point, if I do not push forward a little it will run forever. As I mentioned I have already replaced the timer and the hi-limit.

I have tried normal wash & pots and pans, normal, hi-temp air dry with the same results. I have also ran the rinse-only cycle without any issues. We currently have our home on the market and want to fix or replace the washer prior to being sold..

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,474 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

The thermostat that cycles on the heating delay on this unit is key #37 in the second illustration - it can be accessed under the dishwasher, stat is mounted in the bottom of pump housing with 2, 1/4" hex screws - no need to disassemble pump module - perhaps a wire has been knocked off of it all along

http://www.repaircli...ermostat/679641

00830505.jpg

Edited by Mrs. Samurai, 13 May 2013 - 07:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics