Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Calypso starts,stops,starts,stops....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Inforit

Inforit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Stone IPA

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

Whirlpool Calypso (mod GVW9959KQ2) cycles on and off in intermittent bursts starting in the rinse cycle and through the spin cycle. Water enters and drains, but the machine wont continue to run. There is no error code and the tub doesn't spin. Seems like the brake is on. A "professional" repairman on another board was posed with the same problem and said it was the motor control board. I spent the $200 for that baby, popped it in and...no change. Another guy said he had the same problem and it turned out to be the bearing in the inner wash plate. I took this machine apart and found that that bearing was toast, so I rebuilt the top end from the u-joint up. Another $200 not including the assembly fluid (Stone IPA). Problem still exists. So I'm into this thing now for half the cost of a new machine and don't want to kick it to the curb. I fix everything around the house and that is expected of me from my family now. Any suggestions so I can maintain my hero status?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Inforit

Inforit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

Additional information: The cycle tests outlined in the repair manual run normally. When the machine begins its trouble during a normal wash, I've found that opening the lid for a few minutes, then restarting, it will function normally for a few minutes. I'm thinking that something is overheating.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,170 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

I spent the $200 for that baby, popped it in and...no change.

Bummer, deeuude. Can you return the board? Fun fact to know and tell: If you buy parts through this site, you can return them for exchange or refund for a a full year; no harm in buying and trying.

...that bearing was toast, so I rebuilt the top end from the u-joint up. Another $200 not including the assembly fluid (Stone IPA). Problem still exists

What are the part numbers of the parts you installed here?

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,466 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

What happens to the display when it quits, starts flashing ? - goes blank ?

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#5 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

could be a short in the lower wire harness ohm it out and check common with this machine

#6 Inforit

Inforit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm about out of ideas here and I appreciate your input..
The part number replaced: 285927 u-joint kit.
The bearing is in the top of the brown dome. While there wasn't any water in there when I disassembled it, there was corrosion on the metal parts. The aluminum was crusty and the bearing had rust on/in it. I never saw water under the machine and see no evidence under the outer tub.

When the machine "stalls", the panel reads normally. The display shows the remaining time. No flashing.

I'll try that harness test right after I finish this beer so I'll be in a better "place" when the dog sticks her nose in my ear.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:24 PM

When the machine "stalls", the panel reads normally

is the Motor hot at that time ?

#8 Inforit

Inforit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

The motor is not hot. Wash cycles run normally, it's in the rinse cycle that it acts like the power shuts down to both motors.

#9 Inforit

Inforit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

Another odd thing, it always starts the condition at the same countdown time (23 minutes in normal wash), when it happens. Sometimes it doesn't, but that is rare.

#10 Inforit

Inforit

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Well guys, seems it was the water pump (there is a separate two piece pump on this model). The wheel was binding in the pump box and must have been overloading the motor and shutting down the whole drive system. Thanks again for your input. Now on to the next repair...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics