Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool washer LA9500XTWO slow agitator and grinding sound

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Glazewski

Dan Glazewski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hello All
I'm new to this forum so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. We have a about 15 year old washer Whirlpool la9500xtwo 3 speed 9 cycle, additional info on the tag stock number LA9500T. About 3 months ago i replaced the motor coupling Item # 1195967 . a few days ago my wife said the washer was making a grinding sound so i came to this forum and learned about these dog ears which all 4 were broken. i replaced them this morning with the Agitator repair kit item # 3109 . Here is where i'm at. everything works the machine fills up then it starts agitating stops after a few minutes the goes to the 2nd cycle which agitates. Here is where this problem is driving me mad. its this part of the cycle which the grinding sound and the very slow moving agitator are happening. no other problems happen during the rest of the normal cycle i have not been able to find this issue on the net so i ask all of you for any suggestions or help with this issue. Thank you in advance for any help

Dan Glazewski

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

so . . . the first Agitate Cycle works OK (completes ?) (no grinding) ?
The slow & grinding is only during the second Agitate Cycle ?
YouTube video ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Dan Glazewski

Dan Glazewski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

so . . . the first Agitate Cycle works OK (completes ?) YES
(no grinding) ? No Grinding
The slow & grinding is only during the second Agitate Cycle ? YES

I will see if after work i can post a video to youtube showing the slow speed and grinding later on tonight

Thank you for the quick response :)

Dan Glazewski

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Regular Wash Cycle sequence
1) Agitates High
2) Agitates Low

Try it in the Knits / Gentle Wash Cycle sequence
1) Agitates Low
2) Agitates Extra Low

#5 Dan Glazewski

Dan Glazewski

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

This video is only about 2 minutes, we ran this cycle on the perm press and the grinding happened on about 4 cycles, we normally run it on heavy or normal and the only cycle that was clicking and grinding was the 2nd agitation cycle. thank you in advance
Dan Glazewski

#6 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

What's going on there is the motor is pausing and either attempting to reverse or change speeds, hard to see exactly where the timer indicator is. Couldn't quite make out what all the buttons were on the console, but looks like they are push button type selectors - the selector buttons may be "stuck" between speeds, push the buttons a few times, and make sure a wire hasn't been pulled off the back of one of them and try your machine again. Also, what happens if you turn the timer to the "spin" portion of the normal cycle and start the machine ?
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:49 AM

Try it in the Knits / Gentle Wash Cycle sequence
1) Agitates Low
2) Agitates Extra Low

is it "bad" in the 1st and 2nd Agitate Cycle ?

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:07 AM

recheck the motor harness connections, make sure the harness is fully seated. Some machines had an extra 2 wire harness connection that can work loose, these were 3 speed motors.

Edited by nickfixit, 23 March 2011 - 06:09 AM.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#9 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

recheck the motor harness connections, make sure the harness is fully seated. Some machines had an extra 2 wire harness connection that can work loose, these were 3 speed motors.

Yep - I'll bet ya Nick nailed it, I recall those little pigtails being forgotten about when reconnecting the Motor and causing that very issue - Good Call !
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

Recent blog entries on this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics