Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

gonzo7

Maytag MAH9700AWW washer tub wobbles, off center (or something)

9 posts in this topic

When I open the door and turn the tub, the tub appears off center as it spins through a rotation. It almost looks like the drum is warped, but I dont think so because I have no idea how that would happen. The malfunction happened during a spin cycle and melted part of the rubber seal before it was stopped. When I open the back, everything appears normal. The drum mount is on the shocks, the flywheel spins normally, etc.

I'm not really sure what to look for or where to go from here. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Max

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Sounds like the spider support on the rear of the basket may be broken - with the door open, lift up and down on the inner basket and pull forward on each of the fins. Any movement in the basket means you are in for a large (expensive) repair

kdog,

Thank you for your reply. The basket is secure. When I pull on it, or the fins, the whole system moves on the shocks. It's almost as if the basket is warped or somehow not mounted evenly.. which is not the case because its been working fine up until this point.

I am assuming that whole two-piece basket holder will have to come out to fix whatever is wrong with it. When you say expensive, what kinda ballpark are we talking about?

Any other ideas, please throw them out there.. thanks.

Max

... the tub appears off center as it spins through a rotation. It almost looks like the drum is warped,

YouTube video ?

I got it figured out. It looks like that 3-armed bracket that goes onto the back of the basket is cracked. The basket also got slightly tweaked. With the price of those two parts plus another door seal, almost might as well buy another washer! :P

Thanks for all the help!

Max

Courtesy of Master Reg:

HomeDepot

Direct Drive made by Whirlpool / free delivery

ATW4475XQ $ 254 (new style dual mechanical Water Level Switches -no info)

ATW4475VQ $ 297 (standard mechanical Water Level Switch)

For manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice==> http://appliantology.org/apprentice/

Courtesy of Master Reg:

HomeDepot

Direct Drive made by Whirlpool / free delivery

although that's for a Top Load Washer

Whirlpool Front Load Washers are now $ 494, but had been on sale (Nov '10) for $ 349