Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

speed queen washer-leak at beginning of drain cycle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrfixit1

mrfixit1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:imperial stout

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hello all fellow fixers!
A speed queen commerial heavy duty washer... recently started splashing water over the top when it starts to empty. This is new behavior after many years of use. I took off the top of the tub, cleaned and reseated the gasket, and put some sealer in the spring slots. (I considered this a long shot but did it anyway, since it hasn't been leaking out of these slots for many years). These actions didn't help.
OBSERVATIONS:
1. The spinning cycle starts at the same time as the pump cycle, causing water to ride up the edges of the tub through centrifigal force, causing water to spill out of the spring slots (which are not water tight).
2..The drive pully/helix (bottom of drive shaft) pulls the brake open when the motor reverses direction. This disengages the brake.
3. After the tub empties, it speeds up, and the brake seems to become more engaged... the space between the brake pad and plates goes from having a space (perhaps .050" or 1mm)to not having a space.
Questions:
1. Should the pump remove water before the spinning starts to prevent this behavior?
2. Perhaps the brake/transmission should hold the tub still for a time?
3. Will replacing the brake pads help? (I saw a post that someone with a problem similar to this said this helped). I can't figure out how, unless it keeps the tub from turning while water is pumped out.

Thanks you in advance for all help...
Mr. Fixit1

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

Missed that model number, budrow.

#3 mrfixit1

mrfixit1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

Unfotunately, Oh Great Samuri, finding the model number seems beyond my puny skills. I have looked both inside and outside. I have found places with glue that perhaps had a plate or sticker, but no model number.
What I do know:
This is a Speed Queen commercial heavy duty washer, pre-1995.
The diagram in this web page seems to be very much like the mechanics I see in the machine.
http://www.appliance...washer/ch08.htm
section 8.7

Does this help, oh master?

http://www.appliance...washer/ch08.htm

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:15 PM

From the problem description, it sounds like the brake has failed, possibly the transmission-- hard to be more 'pacific without a model number.

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

... finding the model number seems beyond my puny skills. I have looked both inside and outside.
... I have found places with glue that perhaps had a plate or sticker, but no model number.

Posted Image

Speed Queen Top-Loading Washer
Tag Location:
On newer models the identification tag
may be on the top or side of the control console,
on the side of the cabinet, around the lid opening
or on the underside of the lid.
On older models the identification tag is often found in plain view
on the front edge of the cabinet toward the base.

Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

My bet would be on a worn out belt, these are designed to slip, (special cloth coating which is the clutch in this machine). With cloth covering worn off the rubber inside of the belt is gripping the pulley to hard and spinning it too fast before the water has had a chance to fully drain the water out, causing water to whirlpool up and out of tub.

If the belt is slipping correctly the tub will spin slow until the water is all drained out then start to pickup speed to wring water out of clothes.

If it were the brake that failed the water would be splashing over the top when agitating, the tub would start to spin with the agitator instead of staying locked in place to let the agitator swish the clothes around.

This is all on the premises that this is the Speed Queen with the pump attached to the bottom of the motor and has the idler pulley and spring system to put tension on the drive belt.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 mrfixit1

mrfixit1

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

Do you mean that the drive belt from the motor to the drum is supposed to slip to keep the drum spinning too quickly at first?
This might be it, since the belt was slipping and i tightened up the spring considerably.

PS. Thanks for the diagram... no tag in these places,although I see a glue mark.

Oh,
The pump is NOT attached to the motor... it is separate.

Posted Image

Note the last line on the diagram

#8 BigBird

BigBird

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Optimator

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hello,

Yes, the belt is meant to slip to reduce motor current draw and damage from overload. If you tightened the belt taught, you made a mistake.

Big Bird

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

As BigBird says, "You made a mistake by tightening the belt".

Yours is a little older model than I was thinking of but uses the same principle.

Pump belt should be snug, about 1/4" deflection in center of belt when tightened correctly but this shouldn't have any effect on the spinning to fast and causing water to whirlpool up over the sides, (unless it's really loose and taking way to long to pump the water out but tub should still spin slow enough if it still has water in it).

If the inside of the belt looks like nice black rubber then the cloth coating has worn away and it would grip too tight and cause your problem. Why did you tighten the belt in the first place? What was the original problem that caused you to start to mess with things?
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics