Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 110.77862600 dryer, strong gas smell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diybob

diybob

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ice tea

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I just got this dryer from a basement of a foreclosed home. Does not look like it got wet .Actually , looks hardly used. Hooked up new gas line and vent ,opened gas valve , and started dryer. It ran for about 3 minutes before we could smell gas, then it got real strong. We shut off valve , I'm pretty sure it was not my hook up. It smelled like it was an internal leak. What should I look for ? It shouldn't open gas valve unless it ignites, correct? Thanks for any input, Bob.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

It smelled like it was an internal leak.

Gas smell is unmistakeable, but the same no matter where it comes from - best bet is to rip 'er open and start by soaping all of the visible piping joints without dryer running and also see if the orifice in the valve is obstructed
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,648 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Need to find that leak.

House go ka-boom; pants go brown.

One more foreclosure.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

If the little rubber cap wasn't re-installed over the Dryer's Gas Line Stub during storage, :whistling:
the Gas Safety Valve may have rusted, or critters got inside .

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 BigBird

BigBird

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Optimator

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hello,

Did you replace the flexible gas line AND fittings? It clearly states on the Danger label that the line or fittings are NOT to be reused. Also, there should be NO TEFLON TAPE, SEALER, PLASTIC CEMENT, MARMALADE, SILICONE SEALER, PEANUT BUTTER, MARGARINE, OR DENTURE GLUE on the flared surface seat. Sealer is meant for tapered threads only, and not for the flared fitting seal. This is also clearly stated on the label.

Yes RegUS_PatOff is correct that there may be an obstruction preventing the gas valve from sealing properly (rust, dirt, usw...).

Big Bird

Edited by BigBird, 25 March 2011 - 05:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics