Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE WPSE4270 Washer - Won't Spin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mgould

mgould

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

Hello,

I have a frustrating problem with my GE Washer WPSE4270.  The spin cycle is not working.  The agitator cycle, pump (i.e. it drains fine) work well.  The transmission seems quiet and does not leak.  The belt is in good condition, the lid switch works.  The issue is that after the agitator cycle, the spin cycle clicks on, the drum turns a turn or so, then stops.  I hear the motor humming and it gets hot.  I can turn the belt and drum freely. 

My fear is that the motor is bad, but I am not confident enough to take a flyer on a $165 part when I am not sure.  Is there a spin solenoid or something like that that could be the culprit?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:41 AM

This doesn't sound good....can the transmission pulley be turned freely by hand in both directions?
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#3 mgould

mgould

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. The transmission can turn in both directions.  The tub only turns when I turn it clockwise.  The tranny seems fine to me.

#4 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:49 PM

OK...next thing is to try the spin cycle with the belt unhooked, see how the motor behaves.

#5 mgould

mgould

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:32 PM

Interesting, I removed the belt and the motor spins.  It is acting a bit strange though.  When the spin cycle is initiated, it starts up, then stops, makes a noise like it is rewinding, then starts up again.  It does this for a few times, then kicks into full spin cycle mode. 

Anyway, based on this, it sure seems like the overload switch is being tripped in the motor.  Am I right?  What do you think?  Any hopes of repair?. 

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:41 PM

I believe there were issues with the motors on these - I think this was mentioned here lately, Apparently, GE do a motor/wiring harness/capacitor kit. Can you post your full model number?

#7 mgould

mgould

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:48 PM

Full model number is WPSE4270A0WW

It's several years old. Can't remember exactly when we bought it.  Maybe even 10 yrs ago.

I did see the new motor and capacitor, etc.  Can that capacitor be retrofitted or should the entire unit be replaced?

#8 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

I'd strongly recommend doing the full kit.

GE P/N is WH49X10035, about $165 from our friends at RepairClinic.com.

#9 mgould

mgould

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:13 PM

ok, thanks for all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics