Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Viking VGCC5304BSS Oven Door Hinge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PRC

PRC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Pacifico

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hello!

My one year and nine month Viking oven does not seem to close completely. When the oven is on, after 10 minutes or so, the front of the range (knobs and all) become very hot and impossible to touch. I have recently been placing a heavy chair in front of the oven to keep it comletely closed, but this cannot go on.

Is there a way to tighten the tension springs on the hinges? I have been looking online for a while, and I cannot find any service manuals or anything for this model.

Can anybody help a complete rookie?

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PRC

PRC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

My apologies - Model # vgcc5304bss

#3 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

For the price of these monsters they make the hinges out of poor quality metal. I have replaced these hinges before. The door is heavy but if you open it about 12 inches you can pull the door up and off. The hinges are attached to the oven cavity. They can be ordered from Viking or one of their distributors. Also carefully inspect the oven cavity to make sure it is not bent or mis-shapen around the hinges. A lot of time the weight of the door can bend the hinges when opening it over time. Does the door look level to the floor when its opened?

#4 PRC

PRC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for your response. Yes, the oven door is pretty much level with the floor when it is open. Also, there seems to be enough tension on the hinges as they hold the door open at an angle.

When I got home last night, I had a look at the hinges, and noticed that the rectangular metal plates that cover the hinges on the oven (not the door) were slightly bent. When I removed these plates (easy to do as they are held in with a single screw each), the oven closed and did not cause the control panel to get so hot. On the other hand, when I did this, a lot of heat came from the vents behind the burners - the vents at the back of the range.

So, my two questions - is there any harm in removing the metal plates altogether? Also, should there be so much heat coming from the back of the range?

Here are two photos - the first is the metal plate and the second shows (albeit blurry) how it is slightly bent when placed on a flat surface.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Ritz

Ritz

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

From the photo it looks like the plates are cosmetic. But inspect closely to what the screw was attached to so you can be certain. An oven like this does vent from the rear.

#6 PRC

PRC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for your response. I am pleased to hear that the heat coming from the rear of the range is not a problem. It appears as if the screws (about 1/2 inch long) are going into the frame of the oven as they cover the hinges. They do look cosmetic, so this may have saved me a $139 service call!

#7 PRC

PRC

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

The metal pieces are called "hinge trim." Sounds pretty cosmetic to me :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics