Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE WBVH6240FWW washer - torn gasket

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jp22

jp22

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Most of 'em

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

Greetings,

I have discovered a signifant tear on the left hand side of the door gasket of my GE washer. Doing the homework through your sites (have used this resource several times...fantastic work and my compliments and utmost respect to you, Samurai) I found a thread which offers this link to your pearls of wisdom on a similar repair for Frigidaire units. The questions I have...

- What, if any, variations in the process should I anticipate for my GE unit (yes, this is a sign of my inexperience if they are comparable models)?

- The related door boot seal referenced in the Frigidaire thread is a kit which includes spacers. The door boot seal for my GE has no spacers included. Aside from my own cold one(s), do I plan on buying anything else from the site in addition to the seal to get this job done right?

Thanks in advance!
JP

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:27 AM

Nothin' extra needed for this job than the boot itself, an extra hand for the outer spring clamp and a few tasty adult beverages...although some claim it is possible to do this repair with the front panel/door on the unit,I find it well worth the effort to remove for ease of access. Start with the top and work your way down...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 jp22

jp22

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Most of 'em

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the assistance and for the great deal on the parts. I was able to make the repair, took a modest amount of time and still had some cold ones leftover while I sat and watched the test run.

For anyone interested in specifics, here are a few variations on my GE model from the Frigidaire in the post I referenced for the repair:

• I was able to lean my machine back and did not uninstall the door
  • no glue was present, which eliminated the need to razor blade the old gasket off
  • no 3/8" copper tubing tool was needed; the fitting for the soap/bleach just fits right inside
  • the inner spring was held tight by a screw assembly...this was a bit of a bugger to get off
  • the replacement gasket seems to be much higher quality than the original (yay!)
  • I also took the time to clear the trap in the bottom of the machine (yet again) while it was tilted back and walked away with 36ยข, a nasty kids sock, some miscellaneous tidbits, and four hairpins (time for yet another leture with the wife about the hairpins)
Cheers to you all!

JP

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Some differences in installing the door gasket on a GE vs. Frigidaire front load washer

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 02 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the assistance and for the great deal on the parts. I was able to make the repair, took a modest amount of time and still had some cold ones leftover while I sat and watched the test run.

For anyone interested in specifics,...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics