GE WBVH6240FWW washer - torn gasket
Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:02 PM
I have discovered a signifant tear on the left hand side of the door gasket of my GE washer. Doing the homework through your sites (have used this resource several times...fantastic work and my compliments and utmost respect to you, Samurai) I found a thread which offers this link to your pearls of wisdom on a similar repair for Frigidaire units. The questions I have...
- What, if any, variations in the process should I anticipate for my GE unit (yes, this is a sign of my inexperience if they are comparable models)?
- The related door boot seal referenced in the Frigidaire thread is a kit which includes spacers. The door boot seal for my GE has no spacers included. Aside from my own cold one(s), do I plan on buying anything else from the site in addition to the seal to get this job done right?
Thanks in advance!
Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:27 AM
Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:39 AM
For anyone interested in specifics, here are a few variations on my GE model from the Frigidaire in the post I referenced for the repair:
- I was able to lean my machine back and did not uninstall the door
- no glue was present, which eliminated the need to razor blade the old gasket off
- no 3/8" copper tubing tool was needed; the fitting for the soap/bleach just fits right inside
- the inner spring was held tight by a screw assembly...this was a bit of a bugger to get off
- the replacement gasket seems to be much higher quality than the original (yay!)
- I also took the time to clear the trap in the bottom of the machine (yet again) while it was tilted back and walked away with 36¢, a nasty kids sock, some miscellaneous tidbits, and four hairpins (time for yet another leture with the wife about the hairpins)
Recent blog entries on this topic
Thanks for the assistance and for the great deal on the parts. I was able to make the repair, took a modest amount of time and still had some cold ones leftover while I sat and watched the test run.
For anyone interested in specifics,...
Read Full Entry →
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users