Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

flanders51

Kenmore 80 Series, 11062802101, Overheating

10 posts in this topic

I have a Kenmore 80 series that I have taken apart and labeled all the parts pursuant to the great posts and information this board has provided. Thanks in advance for the help I have already received.

My problem is this: my heating element overheats to the point where it smokes and has a burning smell as soon as I turn on any kind of heating to the dryer. It runs just find on air dry, but any heat at all and the heating element coils get bright red and the smelly burning begins. I have tried it on different cycles and the only cycle it is ok on is air dry. All other cycles cause immediate coil heat up.

So, I have checked the ventilation and cleaned lint off everything I could find. I made sure the hose and everything was in top form and appears to be functioning just fine. I also bought a multimeter and checked all of the heating connections on the high limit thermostat, the cycling thermostat, the thermal fuse, and (I think) all wires connecting them. I set the multimeter to the lowest level setting and (given my limited experience with this) everything appears to have continuity. I also looked at the grounds and wires possibly touching the heating element or something stuck in the heating element and everything looks just fine.

Do I need a new high limit thermostat kit and a cycling thermostat? Any help would be most appreciated before I start purchasing stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Try running unit with vent disconnected, see if this changes the behavior - should be good strong airflow from exhaust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried running it without the vent attached. There is a strong air flow coming out. It also didn't change the behavior of the heating element.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I meant to say that there is good exhaust when the hose is disconnected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heating Element glows 100% at any time.

Temperature is regulated by cycling the Element On / OFF for a few minutes at a time.

Has this Dryer been working OK up till now at this location ?

Has the Dryer been recently moved ?

Sounds like a lot of lint inside the Dryer ..

maybe from moving, or not using or emptying the Lint Filter after every load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dryer had been working up until now.

It hasn't been moved, but we were terrible about cleaning the lint. I did take the back panel off and the hose and the lint blower. I cleaned these things thoroughly. I haven't taken the drum apart or anything like that.

The heating element does glow 100% if it is turned on. It overheats very quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dryer Vent

Vent should be rigid metal.
Short lengths of flexible metal may be OK, if not crimped when moving the Dryer into place.
NO plastic
NO PVC
NO screws
Foil Duct Tape is OK.
With an empty load, Timed Dry, High Heat, the vent temperature should cycle somewhere between 135F and 160F
Check / clean the Dryer Vent
Disconnect the Dryer Vent and check for good air-flow there and where it exits the house.
Check the Vent air temperature at the back of the Dryer.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dryer Vent is rigid metal. There is no PVC. There are no screws. Exhaust is good. Lint has been cleaned out of everything I can see twice. I have checked the temperature of the vent and it appears fine.

Am I down to replacing the thermostats yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could there be lint in the drum or around the engine? Could that create the problems. I haven't taken apart the drum yet or gotten to the engine.

I should also mention that there seems to be some corrosion around the wire leading from the controller thermostat to the high limit thermostat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could be lint on the Heater ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites